UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Diff whine advice needed please

Old 11-25-2008, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff whine advice needed please

I got my s2k about 6 weeks ago and about a week after getting it, I noticed a slight noise but I wasn't sure where it was from and I could only hear it sometimes due to the exhaust note.

About 4 weeks ago I decided to change all the oils (Engine, Gearbox and diff) So I went to honda and bought the diff oil. I swapped out the diff oil and the old oil was very very dark and thick. We put in the honda diff oil and thought no more about it. Then around the start of last week the noise started to increase from noticable to what sounds like a GT car

Now I brought it to the garage I bought it from today and they are as much as telling me that I put the wrong oil in it and they have to look at it but basically they'll help me out in sourcing the parts but made no offer to replace anything even though I'm meant to have a 3 month warrenty

So basically I looking for any advice with regards to what a diff cost to buy , rebuild etc or how to handle the whole thing.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:19 AM

Received 245 Likes on 211 Posts

What oil did Honda supply for the diff.?
Old 11-25-2008, 10:30 AM

Dps-f
Old 11-25-2008, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by leftfootbraking,Nov 25 2008, 07:30 PM
Dps-f
Then you show them the reciept and offer the oil from the diff to go away for analysis to prove that that is the oil you put in the diff.

Once back, you can then shove the reciept up their ar5e.

I bloody had thieving b4stards like that.

If the diff is broke, that is their tough luck and they will have to get a new one for you - simple as!
Old 11-25-2008, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Hypersonik,Nov 25 2008, 12:23 PM
Then you show them the reciept and offer the oil from the diff to go away for analysis to prove that that is the oil you put in the diff.

Once back, you can then shove the reciept up their ar5e.

I bloody had thieving b4stards like that.

If the diff is broke, that is their tough luck and they will have to get a new one for you - simple as!
Thank you thats what I was hoping to hear !!

Were would do that sort of testing?

Whats p**sing me off the more I think about it, is the fact that I have minded this car like a child!! I've never donutted, drifted or given it a hard standing start. I do 500 miles a week on average as it's my daily driver. I've pushed on down straights here and there but it spends 80% of it's time in 6th at less than 4k rpms and now I could be facing weeks of borrowing or renting cars until it's sorted
Old 11-25-2008, 01:32 PM

thats bad luck ! but dont let it go , id be down to them everyday till they honour your waranty , a friend of mine had the same thing , a cv joint went in his car and the dealer said it went due to abusive driving ! , so he went with his dad blocked there gate in a protest ! guards where called then the dealer finaly said they would fix it under waranty , id hound them till you get the result you want from them
Old 11-25-2008, 02:23 PM

Garage here did the same to me and within a week my car sounded like it was being followed by a motorbike everywhere. No question the incorrect oil was used - a lot of dealers seem to think they should use the transmission they put in a CRV (which is completely wrong!). Had mine rebuilt and it costs a lot, especially if like my (ex)dealer they order the whole shim set and don't get around to returning the unused shims to Honda within 2 weeks for a refund like they should. For a repair they'll need to find somewhere properly qualified and who knows what they're doing. Blame them and demand they get this fixed!!
Old 11-25-2008, 04:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Diff treakle.
Sounds like someone put something heavy in there to shut it up IMO.
We stripped a diff once to find it full of foam packing chips, partly digested.
I guess it had done the trick long enough to sell the car to the poor unsuspecting owner.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:00 AM

I've found my receipt for the oil from Honda and the invoice for the purchase of the car that states that all warranties will only be up held if the servicing is done within manufacturers recommendations.

I
Old 11-26-2008, 01:03 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You should be able to pick up a used diff from a breaker for between

Quick Reply: Diff whine advice needed please