UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Duff Diff?

Old 09-27-2015, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duff Diff?

Last Monday/Tuesday I drove to Yorkshire and back, some 700 miles over the two days. On the way back I became aware of a metallic grating sound, which seemed to coincide with wheel speed - the sort of thing you would expect if a wheel bearing was on the way out, or if a disc was catching on something. As it happened the car was booked in for an MOT on Thursday, so I asked the garage to check this out. They couldn't find anything wrong, and the car passed the MOT. Since then the noise has been getting worse, to the extent that there is sometimes now a clunk as the drive is taken up after changing gear. My suspicion is therefore the drive train. Having got the car up on axle stands this afternoon to check things for myself, I have ruled out wheel bearings as their is no play at the wheels. However, if a back wheel is turned slowly by hand there is an appreciable movement of the wheel before the prop shaft starts to turn, and there is a slight clunk which appears to come from the diff. I'm not sure whether it should do that, or does this mean the diff is kaput? Any help from more knowledgeable folk would be much appreciated.

Mike
Old 09-27-2015, 09:00 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Just because their is no play does not rule out a wheel bearing, just did a wheel bearing on my car which had no play and passed mot but made a horrible noise while driving over 40mph
Old 09-27-2015, 10:06 AM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

Would get the half shaft/s off and inspect.
spin wheel without shaft fitted and put ear to wing and listen for vibrations
you will not feel play in wheel bearing as above 9/10 times
disconnect/remove prop and inspect
then spin dif and check back lash and nut is sucure and bearing.
if car lowered prob be cv joints,can reverse them<swap sides> or replace>
Old 09-29-2015, 07:42 AM

Problem solved - it turned out to be the wheel nuts on a rear wheel that had worked loose. At least there was a cheap solution!

Mike
Old 09-29-2015, 10:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry_Attric
Problem solved - it turned out to be the wheel nuts on a rear wheel that had worked loose. At least there was a cheap solution!

Mike

Well, that's alright then!
Old 09-29-2015, 11:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jerry_Attric

Mike
I bet that's a relief, Mike!

Now, the money you were thinking your diff was going to cost you can be spent on something much more interesting and with no conscience problems.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:51 AM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K-Phil
Originally Posted by Jerry_Attric' timestamp='1443541356' post='23760981

Mike

Now, the money you were thinking your diff was going to cost you can be spent on something much more interesting and with no conscience problems.

Yes a torque wrench
Old 09-30-2015, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jerry_Attric' timestamp='1443541356' post='23760981

Mike

It's funny you should say that - I've been thinking for some while that a set of coilovers would be good....
Old 09-30-2015, 04:17 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

..or a new rear hub + bearing anyway seriously though, keep an eye on that as the noise was probably the bearing turning in its housing https://www.s2ki.com/home/2012/09/21...ow-to-and-why/
Old 10-01-2015, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by BenRNBP
Originally Posted by S2K-Phil' timestamp='1443554254' post='23761265
..or a new rear hub + bearing anyway seriously though, keep an eye on that as the noise was probably the bearing turning in its housing https://www.s2ki.com/home/2012/09/21...ow-to-and-why/
Luckily it was the wheel nuts that were loose, not the hub nut, so the only possible damage is to the wheel or studs (I think).

Mike

Quick Reply: Duff Diff?