UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Dyno/modifications results

Old 09-26-2009, 11:39 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Dyno/modifications results

So today i mapped my car, unfortunately the day started off bad and kinda carried on that way . I woke up and the boiler in house broke, no biggie set off a bit later, then my auntie rang me halfway through an hour long journey asking if i could take her to the train station later in the afternoon lat minute job - i couldnt refuse as she is 83! this gave me less time anyhow...

So i got to my mates (dyno) a bit later, put her on the dyno and she yeilded 239BHP i cant remember the torque think it was 160 ft/lb this is on the stock ECU with my mods. I was nearly finished tuning then I lost all the setting that i tuned (think i pressed the wrong button) - needed to start again!, when i finished the 2nd time i heard a vibration underneath bloddy exhaust bracket snapped so that needed welded today too in my limited time scale though i didnt rush the tuning.

My mods are:

* Tracysports manifold which is jet hoated coated (reduces heat into engine bay and increases exhaust gas velocity for performance) - this really is great manifold esp mid/high up not that brilliant lower down, the construction/welds is ace.
* K&N fipk, heatwrapped reflection tape etc coupled with a snorkle that i modified to get rid of the bottle kneck.
* T1r 63mm 'singlepipe' exhaust.
* Decat 63mm
* Engine torque damper - haha this will reduce the engine movement in theory reducing loss to engine and more direct feel, TBH it does seem to help when stamping on throttle pedal.
* 4.57R gears
* Around a 50kg weight drop - aircon removed, tyres, lightier mods fitted etc.

Unfortunately towards the end on the last 2 runs my mate said that there were vibrations causing the power readings to be a little scew whiff (see they go up and down slightly, you can tell 'slightly' on the RPM line as it should be straight going diagonall up and it isnt) the rollers need adjusted but we didnt have enough time and i discovered the damn bracket at the back for the exhaust had snapped so we wanted to do that today as well, i also forgot the overlay from when the car was basically stock versus todays dyno run i left it at my mates.

First dyno is a stock car with just a decat+snorkle, however the temperature was a colder, it was colder than the run today if i did the run in this temperature we reckon the car would definetly yeild 4-5bhp more on the 'approximations' we made.

I'd of loved to have the car bone stock today, then put all the bits on and dyno again but cant do that.

Setup consisted of a roller dyno, detcans, wideband o2. The dyno is very accurate, on new cars it generally gives lower readings that than the manufacturer quotes.

I forget the 1st dyno versus todays but basically, the gains are roughly...

3000-4000rpm = ~8bhp ~8 trq
4000-5000rpm = about the same a little more
5100-5800rpm = + ~20bhp! trq about the same
5600-6000rpm = + ~15bhp trq the same
6000-7000rpm = + ~20bhp trq about the same
7000-8000rpm = + ~25bhp trq about the same
8000-9000rpm = same as above power tailed off after 8300 but gained on stock 20bhp quickly going down but nowhere near stock to redline, torque abit less.

maxBHP stock = 231bhp/153 trq (To nearest)
maxBHP tuned= 255bhp/171trq (To nearest)

Around 205/206 WBHP.

VTEC set at 5200rpm.

I aimed for around 13.1 AFR all the way through it jumped on vtec slightly but nothing dangerous, some of the yanks go way highier than this! good range for power is 12.7-13.x

Standard except decat+snorkle alot colder that day hey it was christmas time

Mods described above temp today was 18c.

(Old photo with old dual exhaust on, just showing dyno room)

Exhaust i have

Car definetly feels better without a shadow of a doubt and pulls harder, really chuffed

Cookie for the first to say what ECU(S) i used?

P.s Got my auntie to train station with 3mins to spare
Old 09-26-2009, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice stuff
Old 09-26-2009, 12:59 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Looks good AJ.

Similar results to what I got with the Unichip.

No fan?

Hear any det?
Old 09-26-2009, 01:25 PM

Hiya Mark.

Yes used a fan, not that big TBH from what I've seen on other setups, extraction was just a pipe too but its probably sufficent knowing my mate. TBH i think the fan should of been a bit closer to the bumper but it was 'about' roughly 2 foot away.

No det, i also monited things with my mobile phone program no probs there either.

The midrange/highier performance is ace this is the bigger difference I've noticed.

Next project is the pIC boards to read info from ECU's with car with engine swaps.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:55 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Very nice!

Your making me interested now! Keep us updated.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by E4RTH WORM JIM,Sep 27 2009, 01:55 PM
Very nice!

Your making me interested now! Keep us updated.
No one has had a guess yet at the ECU?

Updated?, this is it mate...no seriously it is this time!..I'm happy honest

No seriously mods wise I'm finished and happy, TBH i could squeeze more out of it but I'm calling it a day.

If you have any questions fire away.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:39 AM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

J's ECU?
Old 09-27-2009, 05:46 AM

I have a question. Forgive me if it sounds a bit dumb.

In Gaspode's world of twisty B roads ( where I do my fun driving )... What does all of the above mean?

Is this something I would go "Wow"?

Would I notice?

Dyno graphs are great... but I really can't equate them to what the car is like on the B roads.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:48 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

AEM 1052 or Motec ?
Old 09-27-2009, 09:28 AM

Rover 214 ECU??

Quick Reply: Dyno/modifications results