UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Engine issues on early models

Old 05-16-2008, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine issues on early models

Hi again,

I have been reading some reviews on the S2000 and as you would expect they are all very positive. One thing that I have read a few times though is that people with early models have had problems with blown engines, is this really an issue? I can't see it myself knowing how reliable Hondas usually are. I just want to check as I am seriously considering buying one, but my budget would only really stretch to a 1999-2000 model.
I'm assuming these people just haven't kept a good eye on oil levels?

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2008, 12:05 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nclaydon,May 16 2008, 08:01 AM
I'm assuming these people just haven't kept a good eye on oil levels?

Thanks!
This is mostly the case.

A couple of engines have also blown due to oil surge on the track and a few have let go because oil filters have come loose or unattached.

Generally the engine is very strong.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:14 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Age makes no real difference. I blew the engine on my old MY00 and have had to have a new engine on my MY06.

But engine failures are few and far between.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:23 AM

The oil pumps and oil jets now have new part number compared to the older engines.

Upgrades I assume.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On the earlier engines (I think they changed about 2002 but I'm not really sure when this point was) the inlet valve spring retainers can weaken if an engine is over-revved on a gear down-change. If this happens there are no obvious symptoms and the retainers can fail catastrophically at some future point (maybe even a few thousand miles later), causing a valve to drop and write off the engine effectively.

A close and careful visual inspection can maybe show up a retainer that is starting to fail (there is good thread on here by Billman - I think - if you do a search) and the cure is to fit later reatiners which were modified (expensive job though as I think the head would probably need to come off).

Also, the oil filters can come loose if not fitted properly and non OEM filters are possibly more prone to this (filters need to be torqued down believe it or not). Personally, if the filter didn't look like the bigger one in the picture below (S2000 specific filter) I wouldn't buy the car (IMO correct filter useage is one of the most important things in looking after an engine). If a Honda "generic filter" (the smaller one) is fitted what does that say about the quality of the (albeit Honda Franchised probably) servicing? The part number on the packaging in the picture will also printed on the filter casing.

HTH

PS - As has been alluded to above the early engines needed modified piston oil spray jets and bolts fitted. This was a free mod and there was a recall. When buying a car check there is some proof this was done. There was a free extended engine warranty put on the cars when this mod was done (administered by Warranty Holdings so this probably wasn't much good in itself) but if the seller has this warranty document with the paperwork then this is a pretty good indicator that the mod was done. (Dealers doing the modifcation work didn't issue any paperwork to confirm the mod was actually done but Honda UK may be able to confirm from their records.)

Old 05-16-2008, 04:35 AM

On the honda website somewhere you can type in the vin number and it will tell you if the car has had all its recalls.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:36 AM

On the honda website somewhere you can type in the vin number and it will tell you if the car has had all its recalls.
Where? Any linkage?
Old 05-16-2008, 04:37 AM

give me a sec
Old 05-16-2008, 04:39 AM

there you go.

http://www.honda.co.uk/owner/cars/qasPUD.jsp
Old 05-16-2008, 05:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

My engine gave way and #4 cylinder was scoured. This was down to oil surge and now having to have a rebuild as getting a 2nd hand engine down to Gib would be way too expensive. How could I find out the new part numbers for the oil jets and bolts? Would anyone have them handy pls?

Also I'm looking at installing an Accusump, I think either Mikey or Bibbs put me onto that path and I reckon its one I'm going to go with!

Quick Reply: Engine issues on early models