UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Engine locked up?

Old 08-30-2005, 04:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine locked up?

ive got a bit of a situation on my hands. i drove down to weston super mere this weekend. i got there fine. i went to the shop a bit later on and when i got back i heard a bang and my car cut out. it wouldnt start back up. the engine wont even turn over? i called the AA out the next day and he was pushing the car in gear. he got back in and the car would try to start but lock up again? i got it home to gillingham in the end but now its sitting outside my house. im not 100% sure but i think im gonna need a new bottom engine. the thing is 2 months ago my engine light came on so i took it to honda. they said it was a electrical fault and i needed a service. so i had a service and 400 ponds later took the car out the garage with honda reassuring me that my engine was in tip top condition when i told them it wasnt. i reaaly wanna get it sorted but finances are holding me back. does anyone know where i can get a cheap bottom half from? who to fit it? can i some how get honda to sort it out cos of there cock up? i know if honda sort it out then im going to be paying 5g plus! please please help
Old 08-30-2005, 04:31 AM

Sadly I can't offer any advice, but I'm sorry to hear of your plight.

Hope you get it sorted asap, so you can get going again!
Old 08-30-2005, 04:32 AM

How much oil was in it? I think your suspicions are correct and it has seized, the real question will be why. If you don't have an extended warranty now might be a good time to buy one.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:38 AM

If you try to push/pull the car in gear can it be moved or do the wheels just lock and get dragged? If it can't be moved then its quite possibly ceased (very bad) or possiby hydro-locked from a leaking head-gasket (also very bad). Good luck getting it fixed
Old 08-30-2005, 04:48 AM

the cars an import so i dont think i can get it warrantied. it can be moved in gear, but when you go to start it up you hear it lock again.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:57 AM

I'm interested in your comment

they said it was a electrical fault and i needed a service
Did you not know you needed a service? Do you ever check the oil or top it up? I think I speak for 99% of people on here when I say that there is no way my car would pass a service interval without me knowing about it.

Anyway, good luck with it. Keep an eye on ebay for an engine around
Old 08-30-2005, 05:15 AM

Can you not go back to where it was serviced - surely they would be able to at least diagnose it properly ?

Good luck
Old 08-30-2005, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by dollag,Aug 30 2005, 01:48 PM
the cars an import so i dont think i can get it warrantied. it can be moved in gear, but when you go to start it up you hear it lock again.
Still warrantied, but not on an MY00 as it is too old.

From the sounds of it, it could be something stupid to do with the starter, doubtful though.

Take the spark plugs out and shine a torch down the cylinders, also look at the spark plugs. This will show you if there is any basic sign of damage, liquid in the cylinders. Mashed up spark plugs etc ??

It sounds like mine though, the old engine is in the garage, new one in the car, pocket light of nearly
Old 08-30-2005, 05:30 AM

If you can move the engine round 360 degrees by rocking the car in gear its not seized, if its not seized and the big or small ends have gone then it sounds like someone knocking the crap out of the engine with a hammer believe me you can't mistake it.
Just my opinion but it sounds like the starter motor it can make a knocking sound when the selonoid fires the cog into the starter ring but the starter may not be turning- does it click once every time you press the red button then its starter related
it could also be trying to fire at the wrong position.
try taking the spark plugs out make sure you earth them or disable the power to the low voltage side of the coil or you will screw the coils up, then try turning the engine over.
if it tries to turn and stops with a bang it is more likely ignition related. If you are not sure get a mobile auto electrician to come over it will not cost the earth but could be a cheap investment.

if the engine turns over but wont turn a full 360 degrees it could be a bent valve not retracting but this will have made a lot of noise before it stopped

Just afew sugestions