UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Engine Problems - Any Ideas?

Old 08-20-2004, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Problems - Any Ideas?

Ok, so I wasa driving along then all of a sudden the engine starts misfiring and as I come off the power, the engine dies.

I can re-start by giving it a bit of gas but every time the engine dies as soon as my foot comes off the accelerator.

Not an electrical problem, checked all that and have had the car recovered back to my house. The guy from the recovery service says it's engine managment and will need to go to the Honda dealer to go on their diagnostics. Nothing he could do for me.

So I'll take it in tomorrow, but has anyone else had these symptons and can offer any suggestions.

The only unusual thing I did today was run the tank pretty low, but not empty. I filled up with 46 litres of Optimax so there shouldn't be a problem with fuel starvation. The problem occured about 6 miles after filling up.

I am not a complete numptie and did not put diesel in it (although the mechanic did sniff my fuel filler, quite insulting really)
Old 08-20-2004, 10:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only way you're going to find out the problem is to get the garage to check the codes on the ECU.
However, if you need the car, you could always reset it to see if it cures the problem.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:12 AM

Cheers, how do I reset the ECU?
Old 08-20-2004, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...4&hl=reset++ECU
Old 08-20-2004, 10:25 AM

Presumably though, if you reset the ECU it'll clear the fault codes. Which means you'd never know what was wrong.. ??? Maybe..
Old 08-20-2004, 10:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It will clear them. But if it reoccurs, you can get them then.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think its the throttle response sensor mate,clean it out with engine cleaner,or alcohol ,etc,then put back togather and then take Battery of for a few secounds,this will reset the ecu,try it if it reacurs then you need to go to dealers !
Old 08-20-2004, 10:44 AM

Think I'd rather know what was up with it if it was me TBH!
Are there any plugin module wotsits so you can plug a laptop in for a nose around for these ECUs? Similar to the VAG com thing for VW/Audi
Old 08-22-2004, 07:12 AM

Decided against the resetting the ECU and have left it with the dealers to sort out.

On another point, my warranty ended on the 12 august. If there is something seriously wrong, do you think I have any chance of Honda being kind and doing any work under warranty being as it is so close to when it ran out?
Old 08-22-2004, 07:38 AM

Extend your warranty at another dealer before you take the car in. You can buy the warranty over the phone for

Quick Reply: Engine Problems - Any Ideas?