UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

First drive

Old 09-14-2017, 11:48 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default First drive

Hey guys,

I'm considering an s at the moment and drove one earlier. First impressions were:
good steering feel
handles amazingly
clutch felt nice and light
vtec didn't seem overly strong

my current car is an Audi s3 so maybe that's why vtec didn't seem strong as I'm used to a turbo. (Used to drive an ep3). Hopefully I can try another out soon as they are cracking little cars.

Dan
Old 09-14-2017, 01:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pazzer
Hey guys,

I'm considering an s at the moment and drove one earlier. First impressions were:
good steering feel
handles amazingly
clutch felt nice and light
vtec didn't seem overly strong

my current car is an Audi s3 so maybe that's why vtec didn't seem strong as I'm used to a turbo. (Used to drive an ep3). Hopefully I can try another out soon as they are cracking little cars.

Dan
Try one with a Hondata remap with a lot more bhp and torque in the mid range, improves the car so much and gives a real kick in the back when vtec point is reached.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:35 PM

Hmm sounds good. Is this what you have?
Old 09-14-2017, 01:43 PM

Smile

Hmm sounds good. Is this what you have?
Yes, with lots of mods, low mileage and mechanical and cosmetically excellent it has made a big improvement to the car but unfortunately it's the wrong colour.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:46 PM

What colour?
Old 09-14-2017, 02:01 PM

What colour?
The colour I love as I bought it new and the colour you don't like. It's taken a lot of heart searching but due to illness the car is going to have to go. I don't know whether to sell the hard top, Mugen manifold, Password carbon fibre cooling plate and snorkel, K&N filter, and Hondata Flashpro separate or with the car. Any advice welcome, do I sell it now or wait until next spring?
Old 09-14-2017, 02:22 PM

Ah I see sorry to hear that. Well prices are only going to go up I think.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:37 PM

Ah I see sorry to hear that. Well prices are only going to go up I think.
Thanks but there's lots of people worse than me. I would like the car to go to someone who loves it as much as me otherwise it will just sit in the garage and that is a waste.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:02 AM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

Don't forget, a VTEC kick isn't necessarily a good thing. It's usually because the power has flattened out just before it, rather than a big boost after it kicks in.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:06 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Sounds like a fair assessment from a first drive but also depends what you're expecting from VTEC really, it's not like a shot of unicorn fart nitrous but there should be a noticeable "step" in the rev range where it stops going "dddddrrrr" and then goes "raaaaaaaaaa" at which point your smile should increase proportionally to RPM. There are things ( mostly consumable bits) that can detract from delivered power over time, so its possible it has a defective MAP sensor or something along those lines.

Quick Reply: First drive