UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Fluids and filter change

Old 09-13-2008, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluids and filter change

I had most of the oily fluids changed on my S yesterday; Engine, Diff, Gearbox; Also had the brakes done but that's another story.

I thought it might be worth dropping this on here for any new people (as I am) who are a bit unsure regards oily stuff (as I was). This is the way I went with it so dont take any of this as gospel new people

I've had the car for 3 months now; It had 1k miles on it when I bought it and now has 7k Miles so I decided to change all the fluids and go synthetic.

Engine-wise :-
Silkolene PRO S 5W-40 Ester Synthetic Oil

Diff-wise :-
Silkolene SILKTRAN SYN 5 75W-90 Fully Synthetic Gear Oil

GearBox-wise :-
Amsoil Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid MTF

All above fluids were recommended to me by Opie Oils which is where I bought all the fluids via the web.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/

The Engine Oil I went with is the top of the tree for the fast-road and lightly-tracked S as far as Opie are concerned; that and the Motul 300 stuff; both Ester based which apparently is top drawer when it comes to Synthetic engine oil. I went to Opie with Motul in mind (after reading threads on these forums) and they recommended the Silkolene stuff over it so I decided to go with thier recommendation.

Diff oil wise - Again, Opie recommended it; I was back at the dealer today due to an issue with the new brake pads; whilst there one of the tech's showed me the oil that came out of the Diff; Jeeez louise it was grey and had the consistency of very runny porridge; He specifically brought it over to show me and said I'd definately done the right thing in changing it when I did.

Anyone with a car with 6-7k on it who is still on the original fluids should seriously consider flushing them all.

With the gearbox oil I went for the Amsoil MTF for 2 reasons :-

1) It's slated as a replacement for Honda Genuine MTF fluid for manual transaxles (as per web page statement - http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtf.aspx)

2) Other Folks on here have given glowing reports regards it's properties for smoothing out the notchyness in the gear shift

It's fresh in the box and perhaps fresh MFT makes the box smooth generally but so far I can definately say that the gearchange is transformed, even when cold; Totally silky now.

Filter-wise; After reading threads on here regards the 'correct' oil filter I specified the newer, larger, PCX filter; to which the Stores chap told me that the smaller one was just as good and told me that 'With all due respect My car was only a 2 litre and that these bloody forums caused more harm than good' He then went on to say that he wasnt technical after I'd mentioned that Honda were now specifying this part for the S So draw your own conclusion regards your local Honda dealers thoughts and advice.

Apologies for the fragmented nature of this feedback; Cider is to blame for this.

Hope some of this is in some way useful to someone.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:13 PM

Hmm, very interesting read, Im also wondering wether to change fluids before the first service, but some say to stay mineral until then. Out of interest do honda change the Gearbox and Diff oil at the first 9k service?
Old 09-13-2008, 12:19 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Honda dealers are generally a bunch of monkeys, with few exceptions. I think if a few of them took some time to read the combined knowledge on here, they might learn a thing or 2! There is lots of shite amongst the facts but it's generally easy to spot!

Feels nice to have new blood in the veins though, eh!

Shaq - the servicing schedule is in your manaul. Info on mineral oil in the technical FAQ's.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:12 PM

Does that mean ive got to get off my arse and look then...lol
Old 09-13-2008, 09:28 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Old 09-13-2008, 11:35 PM

'Feels nice to have new blood in the veins though, eh!'

Definately MB; Especially after seeing the sludge that came out of the diff.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by OldDogmeat,Sep 14 2008, 07:35 AM
'Feels nice to have new blood in the veins though, eh!'

Definately MB; Especially after seeing the sludge that came out of the diff.
Wouldn't suprise me on a newer car - the colour of the oil being down to the bedding in of the gears.

But another conforrmation of Honda dealers being crap.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thankyou for this thread, I have savd it in my useful info section.

Kiwi
Old 09-19-2008, 12:50 PM

How many ltrs does the transmission take?

I'm ordering what you suggest, but the transmission oil bottles comes in 1ltr bottles, I'm pretty sure I'll need more than that.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:59 PM

2litres for gearbox

Quick Reply: Fluids and filter change