UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Handling

Old 07-10-2009, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handling

Has anyone fitted a front strut brace only or a lower/upper back strut brace only?

I'm curious to know if anyone can positively identify a noticeable difference in the cars handling?

FWIW my own non-scientific opinion makes me think the lower rear would have the most positive affect???

Old 07-10-2009, 01:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are lots of discussions about this, so a search would be your best bet. I have a front lower, which makes a difference, and will get a better rear lower, which is also said to have a positive effect.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:22 PM

I intend to buy the ASM lower braces and a Cusco floor brace before i buy upper items.

Apparently they add significant improvements on the car's feel.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by loftust,Jul 10 2009, 09:19 PM
There are lots of discussions about this, so a search would be your best bet. I have a front lower, which makes a difference, and will get a better rear lower, which is also said to have a positive effect.
Which brands are you considering for the rear lower Loftust?
Old 07-10-2009, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by RotaxMax,Jul 10 2009, 09:32 PM
Which brands are you considering for the rear lower Loftust?
A homemade aluminium jobby. There is a thread on here somewhere detailing the distance between holes etc if you wish to make your own.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by loftust,Jul 10 2009, 09:37 PM
A homemade aluminium jobby. There is a thread on here somewhere detailing the distance between holes etc if you wish to make your own.
My engineering skills are limited by a B&Q work bench and a Halfolds hammer!! I think I'll let J's Racing or similar take care of the 'fabrication' for me!!....unless you're taking orders???
Old 07-10-2009, 01:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by loftust,Jul 10 2009, 10:37 PM
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...ic=661611&st=0

Enjoy.

Got belted in the rear wheel recently by some idiot, the subframe never moved but the hub carrier (malliable iron) was bent at the toe rod end!

I guess this helps give an idea of just how strong this baby actually is.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by RotaxMax,Jul 10 2009, 09:42 PM
My engineering skills are limited by a B&Q work bench and a Halfolds hammer!! I think I'll let J's Racing or similar take care of the 'fabrication' for me!!....unless you're taking orders???
I may be able to make a few...when I get round to making my own. I've done Group Buy DIY bits before...it takes ALOT of time...but I don't mind because everyone on here is just so darn nice!

M1bjr's thread is good, very concise. You only need a drill + bits, hacksaw, fine marker pen and a ruler.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:09 PM

Prefect I remember that thread now. Will bookmark it for reference.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I fitted the front lower brace first (Cusco type copy from ebay), then a rear lower (homebrew from m1bjr's pattern) about a week later.

This might be a controversial opinion amongst other owners, but I found the front brace made the most difference. There was definitely a little more weight in the steering and you could feel the nose trying to push wide in long corners. That might not sound like a good thing, but it never actually understeered and it made the back feel more stable and less likely to slide, which was what I wanted.

I thought that the rear lower actually negated some of the effect of the front brace, but it has made the rear end stiffer and there's more seat of the pants feel.

I think the rear brace also lets you feel just how soft the 04-07 spring/damper set up is, I guess because what you feel with it fitted is genuine suspension movement which isn't being masked by so much chassis flex. I'm not clever enough to say whether that's really the case, but I definitely didn't realise how desperately I need coilovers until the rear brace went on.

As for brands, I'm firmly in the 'it doesn't matter because they're just bits of metal' camp. Cusco and the other big names are better finished, but if you're on a budget, you'll still get the same effect from the cheaper stuff.

Quick Reply: Handling