UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Hardtop any good?

Old 01-09-2002, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardtop any good?

I'm getting seriously tempted into buying a hardtop but I need some justification in spending
Old 01-09-2002, 02:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by adfrad
[B]I'm getting seriously tempted into buying a hardtop but I need some justification in spending
Old 01-09-2002, 02:30 PM

Yes, it does reduce alot of wind and road noise in motion then you end up hearing alot of the engine sound which is good if you like it. Though with the hardtop on, you can play music much better to your heart's content.

The visual appearance is greatly enhanced, is like driving a different car altogether and the blind spot seems to be better than the softop up in my opinion. It also keeps alot of dust, road grime and other unhealthly particles out of the car when you don't want it to. Better security, the softop is quite easy to break into simply with a pen knife.

Last but not least, if the weather is always bad like rainy or foggy ... You're better off driving around in a hardtop. And on the highways, motorways ... You have so much less wind drag when you're trying to suddenly pick up and either catch someone or simply drive faster. These are all my general owner's opinions.

Old 01-09-2002, 02:53 PM

I've got one and i can whole-heartedly recommend it also.
Its expensive as hardtops go, but its money well spent
Added weight is something to consider, and where you are going to store it.
Old 01-09-2002, 10:12 PM

Only had the car since 21 Dec.
Think the hardtop is great.
IMHO it looks good; it fits snugly; it doesn't rattle; visibility is good.
As Takashi says it probably enhances the audio.
Perhaps the only drawback is that you can't fit the hood cover with the hardtop on.
My next step is to fit a pulley system in the garage for removal | storage - see xviper example.

Price? Well since Honda reduced the price you seem to get quite a lot for your money cf the Elise panels (
Old 01-10-2002, 12:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm another hardtopper. It's great. It does integrate very well with the car - far better than say, a Z3's hardtop. Visibility is a little better. It is a little quieter - this was commented on by another owner I've taken out. It's a 2 man job to take it on/off the car - it's not too heavy at around 20kg's, but it's bulky and slightly awkward to manouver.

Drawbacks? Well, there's more paintwork to wax...

-Brian.
Old 01-10-2002, 01:45 AM

lol, it seems everybody has a hardtop these days - at the last meet there were a lot more with than without, must be indicative of the great weather we have over here

I did the install myself and like Pete has said you can pick up the kit for well under
Old 01-10-2002, 01:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've remembered one tiny hastle. The heated rear window cable gets in the way when fitting rear speakers. More a hastle, than a problem.

-Brian.
Old 01-10-2002, 04:00 AM

Right.. that's it ... SOLD!

Just bought one from Slough Honda for
Old 01-10-2002, 04:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you got it sorted! Did you use partsboy's price to beat your local dealer down?

Quick Reply: Hardtop any good?