UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Headunit Removal

Old 08-12-2008, 11:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Headunit Removal

As per the title, i've decided its time to throw in my old pioneer HU to replace the stock one. The reception on the stock unit and bass response is awful, so going to throw my Pioneer in that i ripped from my previous car.

I've done a search for head unit removal, but all of them point to dead links

The links being luicidaudio or something, and s2000.org - both sites appear to be dead

I've read a few posts stating about using a small 'driver to wedge under and give the surround a tug, but fear of snapping the surround was too great. All i've ended up with now is a surround with a few scratches and dinks out of it where i was trying to pry the fascia off
Without wanting to damage it anymore than I already have, and darkness setting in pretty quick, i thought i'd ask here.

First question is obviously how the feck do i get that fascia off?
I couldn't see any clips etc and when tugging it, it didnt feel like it wanted to come off.

Secondly, my stereo originally came from the US, so didn't have an ISO block and needed to be wired into one. The earth lead is also separate and needs fixing to part of the chassis. The MG was pretty simple to do when i fitted this and can imagine this is too. I took the side panel off and found this mount here:

Would it be ok to fit the earth lead to this? or should it go somewhere else?

Sorry if these seem like schoolboy questions, but better safe than sorry

ps: apologies for the crap picture quality! they were taken with a camera phone and a torch! the phone is normally pretty good quality until it comes to dark shots!
Old 08-12-2008, 11:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showforum=26
Old 08-12-2008, 11:30 AM

thanks Mikey - but not overly helpful

As i said in the post, 99% of the threads (including our own FAQ and the one in the electronics forum) point to dead links.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull the surround off by hand, just clips in, be carefull but its fairly robust.

They there are two screws holding the stereo in place that are very obvious, very simple.

5 min job all in.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:40 AM

Cheers Rob
So there's no need for screwdrivers to unclip it then? was just weary about it snapping in 1/2 if I pulled too hard :\

Any ideas if that mounting point would be ok to run the earth lead from too?
Old 08-12-2008, 11:45 AM

It's a while since I took mine out but first you have to remove the door and the radio surround that it is attached to.
The screws which hold the HU in place will then be revealed

With the door down hold it by the sides and pull towards you.
Getting it out is quite easy, putting it back more difficult
Old 08-12-2008, 12:35 PM

Prize down from the top of the vents first using a trim removal tool, wedge it in the gap and work your way along the top edge, it then should pull out by hand, then work your way down, until it all just pulls off. easy from there on.

Getting it back on though is a king sized pain in the ass!! you have to guide in the bottom first (on the 2008 model anyway) as the trim gets in the way around the gear knob, the 3 lugs have to locate with the holes on the botom edge though otherwise they bend up and the whole thing doesnt sit right. as i found out, nearly snapped them off. good luck
Old 08-12-2008, 12:44 PM

+04 models it is easier to lift the centre console and move it back
Old 08-12-2008, 12:45 PM
P 1

Originally Posted by champion_hero,Aug 12 2008, 08:18 PM
I've done a search for head unit removal, but all of them point to dead links

The links being luicidaudio or something, and s2000.org - both sites appear to be dead
I've got the Lucid Audio page saved as a pdf (583 KB). PM me your e-mail address and I'll send it. To be honest the advice above is more helpful, but at least you'll be able to see what you were looking for. There's a picture of the rear of the radio surround that shows where the clips are.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:55 PM

I take mine off quite often and was a little nervous the first time too but it's really easy... not sure if my99 will be any different to yours but i doubt it.

using a flat driver i gently prise at the top above the vents (best in 2places) if your worried about scratches you could wrap the driver in cloth?
once it's moved slightly 5mm or so just hold the door and pull it off
under this there are 4 screws that hold the brackets for the unit.

I'm having trouble with the 'stalk' controls tho... i bought an 'incartec' stalk controller but dont seem to be able to get it to work. ive tested the dash so guess it must be the car tec thingy or my head unit???

any idea??

Quick Reply: Headunit Removal