UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

The Heff's Engine

Old 02-04-2014, 09:43 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default The Heff's Engine

Morning All,

As some may recall, the Heff recently bought himself an S2000 but had some engine troubles...."hole in the block"....

There was a big discussion on how he should go about things, but eventually sourced another engine and had it fitted. During this time I got in contact and asked for the engine as a little project to strip down and have a good look inside. Having done a lot of work on cars, but never completed a full Car engine strip down, I thought its a bit of fun!
The Heff agreed and shortly after having his new engine fitted, I drove down and collected the old engine to take home.

Unfortunately the start of the strip came with several complications. First being the availability of an engine stand. So I quickly sourced an engine standing thinking ill have the engine on in no time. Unfortunately the engine stand and engine mounting points meant I needed M12 x100 fine pitch bolts. (May have been M10, cant quite remember now). All I do know is that it is surprisingly difficult to source these sized bolts with a fine pitch.
Finally the bolts were sourced and engine went on the stand.
Unfortunately a rather busy period both at work and home has meant little time could be spent on the engine.
Progress so far is all ancillaries removed from the block and ready for the head to come off.
Here are some pictures of the progress.
Once the head is off, I will document everything and investigate the root cause of failure on the engine that was supposedly repaired by Honda only a few hundred miles ago.

With work getting a bit quieter now, I hope to spend most of next weekend allocating space in the garage for all stripped parts and have the engine completely apart to get to the cylinders and crank.
The hole in the block is in the sump and in line with cylinder 4.

Updates to follow soon.

A massive Thanks to The Heff for giving me the opportunity to strip the engine. Hope you are still enjoying your S2000.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look forward to your updates, should be interesting
Old 02-05-2014, 08:43 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Seconded.

I never did get a post mortem on mine, unfortunately.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking forward to this shaddow. Guys if you look at the last picture closely up you can see the sealant from the engine repair "snigger" carried out by Honda.

Tom described it as a very amateur job and believed the repair was carried out by someone who had never ever been near an engine build in their life
Old 02-05-2014, 12:58 PM

Very interesting will keep my eye one this thread well done Shaddow!
Old 02-05-2014, 01:23 PM

Really looking forward to this.

By the way, will you be needing the oil filler cap? Previous owner of mine fitted a cheapo aftermarket one and I like my car to be as original as possible. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:36 PM

I've got all the bits coming back to me at some point and have no need for it. If you want to arrange something with shaddow then crack on, I have no need for it as I've already got one.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:39 PM

Thanks mate. Shaddow, what you reckon?
Old 02-05-2014, 09:35 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Theheff
I've got all the bits coming back to me at some point and have no need for it. If you want to arrange something with shaddow then crack on, I have no need for it as I've already got one.

Originally Posted by DaveB
Thanks mate. Shaddow, what you reckon?
Hi,
In effect it is the Heff's, so with his agreement, cant see any reason I cant pop it in the post to you.
Just PM me your address and I will try to send it on Friday.

Thanks
Old 02-05-2014, 11:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In for the updates

Quick Reply: The Heff's Engine