UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Help! Fluid leak

Old 03-21-2005, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Fluid leak

A couple of weeks back, I noticed that my hitherto clean driveway appeared to have acquired a few small-ish oil spots. I wasn't sure whether they were coming from the S or from one of the various visitor's cars which had been parked there recently.

I checked the oil level in the S and it was still at full, so that appeared to allow me to discount engine oil being the source of the spots.

So, on Saturday night I put some cardboard down under the engine bay area to see whether any new leaks appeared on it. Some 15 hours later, there were a couple of new 5p sized drops of translucent liquid, which I at first took to be water, towards the front and driver's side of the engine bay. Unfortunately, I can't be any more precise than that as I forgot to not exactly where the cardboard was before reversing the car. I wondered at that point whether it was just condensation from the A/C or some source.

On closer examination, the drops seemed not to be water however - after touching it, there was a vaguely metallic oily smell on my fingers. So, that would seem to rule out the A/C being the source.

The other obvious sources I can think of (admittedly as someone who has next to no idea of his way around an engine bay....) are brake fluid ( ), radiator coolant fluid or transmission fluid.

The general location towards the front seemed to suggest the radiator as being the most obvious source - but surely that wouldn't smell oily and leave oily spots on the tarmac?

A look under the bonnet and a quick feel around yesterday didn't reveal any obvious visible/tangible leaks - but then the small amount of leakage over a 15 hour period suggests that it's probably gradual and would not therefore be obvious.

I'm resigned to having to cart it up to the dealer to let them have a look, and then go through the rigmarole of them telling me that they can't find anything wrong In the meantime, does anyone have any bright ideas as to what might be leaking that is both translucent and leaves an oily mark?
Old 03-21-2005, 12:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe just a bit of overnight condensation - try testing it during the day.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:06 AM

metallic smells usually indicate coolant water as i understood it
Old 03-21-2005, 01:10 AM

Fluid will often run along the car until it finds the lowest point, and then drip off - so the location of the drip could be a red herring.

Simplest option is to get underneath it and track the leak down. A bit of coloured tissue paper can help as it changes colour when it gets wet...

Fresh-ish engine or gbox oil is translucent and will still leave an oily mark IME, but also coolant can feel oily, depending on what flavour antifreeze is in it.

Good luck, and if you do get under the car make sure it's well supported..
Old 03-21-2005, 01:14 AM

Cheers Tim - good point about the apparent source of the drip. I hadn't considered that.

The engine oil is now around 4,500 miles old, so I'd expect it to be reasonably blackened. The stuff that had leaked out certainly didn't have the look, colour or consistency of the oil I use to top up.

As for getting underneath, I don't have a trolley jack or axle stands - and to be honest, I wouldn't really know what I was looking for/at if I did! I suspect I shall just have to book it in at ALM in Macclesfield and let their guys see whether they can find an obvious source.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:37 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

could be the engine expelling a bit of coolant out of the expansion tank. whats the coolant level like?
Old 03-21-2005, 01:46 AM

If you recall, I had exactly the same issue (except for the smell) several weeks ago.

I double checked (again) all the obvious fluid levels at the weekend, and it all looks ok.

Took the car for a run, and everything feels normal (including brakes), and the engine temp was steady.

I'm hoping it was just ice melt from the snow, as I haven't noticed anything since.

Keep us up to date - it might also point out an issue on my MY02.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:47 AM

Err, pass, lower. I'll have to check that. (Once I've dug out the owners handbook and used it to identify which bottle contains the coolant..... I really ought to have more idea of very basic stuff like that)

Would that explain the oily patches? If that was to be the cause, how do I go about stopping it leaking?
Old 03-21-2005, 01:56 AM
GSi

Expansion tank is white and near the front on the rhs tube to the rad should give it away

It's just off of the bottom of that pic

But given your mechanical expertise Mark (no offense of course ) I'd just take it do your stealer.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:58 AM

Have you had your a/c on, as that usually leaves drips after you turn the engine off?

Quick Reply: Help! Fluid leak