UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

High speed noise level

Old 04-11-2013, 05:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High speed noise level

I have only driven or been driven in one SK2, my own and have always been aware of wind noise with the hood up; at 70 mph conversation is impossible. Yesterday I had the hood down for the first time this year and was not aware of noise even at high speed. My engineer mentioned the noise level recently, MOT time and said he was unable to adjust the hood fixings thinking that was the cause. I wonder if he was right for there are no leaks or drafts and I have always thought the hood was first class. My question, are these fabulous cars noisy with the hood up and if so what can be done about it. Are there any people who know what they are doing regarding the mater in Dorset ; I’m sure Honda will be of no help. I thank you in advance for any replies.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you hood latches fit and lock snugly into place when you click them shut? I can't say i've got any complain of excessive wind noise with the top up, even at high speed it seems perfectly acceptable for a rag top car

My only gripe about having the top up, is the fact that my exhaust sounds very noisy and boomy at normal cruising speed (around 60) with the top down it sounds lovely though so i'm not going to worry too much! just plan to enjoy the
Old 04-11-2013, 06:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the wind noise reduces when you pull down the hood at the front then you can get shims to help.

I wouldn't say a conversation was impossible in mine, by a long way
Old 04-11-2013, 06:55 AM

never had any problems holding a convo here, either.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:43 AM

Whereabouts in Dorset are you? I'm in Poole, and I would be happy to meet up so that you could compare with my car, if that would help.

Mike
Old 04-11-2013, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by RobAp1
Do you hood latches fit and lock snugly into place when you click them shut? I can't say i've got any complain of excessive wind noise with the top up, even at high speed it seems perfectly acceptable for a rag top car

My only gripe about having the top up, is the fact that my exhaust sounds very noisy and boomy at normal cruising speed (around 60) with the top down it sounds lovely though so i'm not going to worry too much! just plan to enjoy the

Many thanks, that's a great help.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by frenchy
If the wind noise reduces when you pull down the hood at the front then you can get shims to help.

I wouldn't say a conversation was impossible in mine, by a long way
The clips seem quite firm and I cannot pull the hood further down, thanks for you response.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by RichwiththeS2000
never had any problems holding a convo here, either.

Thanks a lot
Old 04-11-2013, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Jerry_Attric
Whereabouts in Dorset are you? I'm in Poole, and I would be happy to meet up so that you could compare with my car, if that would help.

Mike
Bedchester near Shaftesbury. Thanks for the offer but it does appear I need to get the hood fixings sorted so I get that done.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:05 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Shin-etsu all the rubbers, slot the latches with a dremel as per the DIY and re-evaluate.

Or drop top all summer and your troubles will drift far away......

Quick Reply: High speed noise level