UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

How does this look?

Old 08-25-2021, 11:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How does this look?

Hey guys just about to pull the trigger on my first S2000 ( and my first used car for nearly 20 years) so trying to do as much due diligence as I can.

Ive found a 40k ish mileage example that has been garaged for the last 5 years or so, everything checks out condition wise from photos ( it a reputable dealer) they have not objected to a PPI and have sent me any photos I have asked for.

But underneath i dont really know what im looking for if im honest. They sent a bunch across and it all looks pretty solid to me , except for some rust on what looks a rear crossmember or possibly subframe ? Is this a concern or pretty normal?

Old 08-26-2021, 12:29 AM

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm no expert but looks pretty solid to me! They're all a few years old now so I would suggest all UK cars wont look completely mint everywhere. Mine looked way worse when i got it treated underneath. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chip in soon with a more informed opinion!
Have you received pictures of the underside of the rear arches, or is there any evidence of bubbling on the outside? It's a known weak spot for corrosion.
The following users liked this post:
Groove (08-26-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by mysteryjedi
I'm no expert but looks pretty solid to me! They're all a few years old now so I would suggest all UK cars wont look completely mint everywhere. Mine looked way worse when i got it treated underneath. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chip in soon with a more informed opinion!
Have you received pictures of the underside of the rear arches, or is there any evidence of bubbling on the outside? It's a known weak spot for corrosion.
I thought it looked pretty solid also, was actually surprised how rust free it appears for such an age of car, it was just that bit at the back which raised an eyebrow.
I havnt got pics of underside of rear arches, ill get them to take some. Im taking it is the forward side of the arches where it goes down to the floow sort of area ? definately no bubling from the exterior
Old 08-26-2021, 01:43 AM

Received 247 Likes on 212 Posts

In garage speak “they all do that Sir” looks as good as any I’ve seen that have not been retro treated, mine lives in a garage and when it’s up on a lift I just do the things I need without worrying too much about other things.
Old 08-26-2021, 02:25 AM

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

looks good to me. Mine was 10x worse for rust underneath - was my daily driver for 10 years in Scotland...
Old 08-26-2021, 02:29 AM

Awesome thanks chaps...deposit going down today I think :-)

Much excite
Old 08-26-2021, 04:13 AM

Received 1,138 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Face Lift series (2004 and later)? UK cars are notorious for rust around the rear wheel arches.

Under hood/bonnet photos will reveal how insidious the rust may be. A few bolts and covers are rust magnets in salt air.

-- Chuck
Old 08-26-2021, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Face Lift series (2004 and later)? UK cars are notorious for rust around the rear wheel arches.

Under hood/bonnet photos will reveal how insidious the rust may be. A few bolts and covers are rust magnets in salt air.

-- Chuck
rear arches have come back clear , under hood looks solid as well

Old 08-26-2021, 04:35 AM

Received 355 Likes on 330 Posts

Checked crank end float ?
i would on later s2000s
£?
Old 08-26-2021, 05:59 AM

Received 1,138 Likes on 1,001 Posts

No excessive rust in the engine compartment I can see. VTEC solenoid, battery bracket, front suspension bolts, and radiator supports rust on seaside cars here in the US very easily and much more than the dusting these seem to have. There are aftermarket and OEM parts which clean up everything other than maybe the suspension bolts.

DBW car that can be FlashPro tuned but I know nothing how that will work with the UK MOT inspection. I'm curious if the UK DBW cars have cruise control.

-- Chuck
The following users liked this post:
Groove (08-26-2021)

Quick Reply: How does this look?