UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

I'm coming to visit

Old 09-20-2007, 02:27 AM

Received 793 Likes on 439 Posts

Friday the 26th.

londontown.com - Thanks. I'll check it out.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you go down west country way - steer clear of scrumpy

and definitely dont mix with larger and darts.

stonehenge not that interesting. i remeber being able to play on the stones in the good old days

dumfries is lovely.
further down yorkshire dales pretty good too. swaledale/hawes etc
Old 09-20-2007, 08:29 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rapscallion,Sep 20 2007, 03:39 PM
dumfries is lovely.
Have you bee there?

I alwas thought it was a bit of a shithole.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:24 PM

Wouldn't be first on my list of scottish towns to visit either.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:10 AM

Thanks for the continued info. Leaving here in just over 2 weeks.

I don't plan on visiting Dumfries specifically, but that looked like the closest 'town' on the map which is why I referenced it. Caerlaverock Castle in that area was one stop, and another one about an hour North or so of there. Then a day or two heading through Cumbria and the Lakes area on the way to London.

I'm still working on finding a hotel deal in London. I can't use my timeshare, but the service often has extra rooms on last minute deals. It appears there are rooms available in the Dockslands area. The tube maps show stops out there so I should be able to get to most of the places I want to see without too much trouble?

On Londontown.com, they list the hotels with the 'area' of town they are in. Can someone suggest the correct parts of town? I heard I want to be near paddington station(?) or another station that has many of the tube lines in it. Am I making any sense here, or can anyone make a recommendation as to the area or even specific, budget or decent hotel. I just need a room and shower really, nothing extravagant.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:28 AM

To be fair as long as you're in the centre you can get to anywhere from anywhere pretty easily. Sadly hotels in London are very similar to hotels in New York or Rome in that they cost a fortune and are rarely amazing.

Paddington is the main station in the west of London and is a junction several tube lines (I travel through there everyday), but you can probably get closer to the centre. Avoid the docklands area, not because it's not nice but mainly because it's a bit more of a trek into the centre of London.

Take a look at http://www.laterooms.com/ for some good areas and also http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ which will give you a more honest idea of what the hotel is like (a lot of US peeps post there too so you'll get an idea from a tourist perspective).
Old 10-01-2007, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Heyitsgary,Jul 8 2007, 02:21 PM

Besides the typical tourist stuff, any thoughts on some other things? Thinking about a day or two in Scotland to see medieval castles and the like.
Borrow an S off one the friendly guys up North and experience the S on some proper roads and corners for a couple of days... I know there arent many stateside...
Old 10-08-2007, 08:09 AM

There are plenty of S's stateside I'll have enough trouble driving on the wrong side of the road, wouldn't even think of risking someone else's S.

Anyway - I've got my hotel in London booked now. I'm at the Holiday Villa over in the Kensington area. I'll be there from Monday night (22nd) through Sunday night (28th). If there's anything going on during the week at night, I'd be glad to participate. I'd be up for a CLPM, just let me know when/where (I think Friday the 26th?) and what tube stop to get there.

Also - is there any plans to watch the Brazilian GP on Sunday? The race starts 2 PM Brazil time, so is that 5 PM your time? That will be tough, as I've got the game at Wembley at 7 PM your time and will want to get there early.

Last question. Is anyone there interested in going to the Giants-Dolphins game and seeing proper American Football? I still have one ticket that is now unused due to my friend's change in plans. I think the face value is 90 gbp, I paid about 150 gbp / ticket which is what I'd be looking for.

If not, what is the local policy on selling tickets? Legal/ illegal at the site, near the site, away from the site.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:15 AM

I will be at the game as I'm doing an event with one of your fellow countrymen, I think you might know the name, John Offerdahl (Miami Dolphins Linebacker 86-93).

Enjoy!
Old 10-09-2007, 04:24 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rather than go to Stonehenge I'd suggest going to Avebury.

At Avebury you can wander all the way round the stone circles, they are completely open and it is a much nice morning / afternoon than a trip to Stonehenge.

There is now also a museum there which has some great exhibits on the history of the site and some of the artefacts that have been found there.

As a bonus, there is a rather nice pub for lunch there too.

Quick Reply: I'm coming to visit