UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Infernal noises!

Old 04-24-2011, 04:14 PM

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Infernal noises!

Evening all,

Been out enjoying the weather, it certainly is top down motoring time. Putting a slight damper on things is the sodding squeaking coming from the front end.

The noise initially was a rotational squeak at low speeds once warmed up, and only occurred when turning right. Now it's got worse and it appears to be doing it all the time. Suspecting the brakes, I have stripped, cleaned, and greased the calipers and took the time to file the pads. (Which have plenty of life) The noise is still there.

I plan to change the pads regardless, but I'm starting to suspect the bearings. I can't detect any play, but if they are worn it would be enough to possibly cause the calipers/pad to touch the disk slightly when cornering? Seems odd as the car has only done 48k, but I suppose she is quite old now. No rumbling as I would suspect from a bearing, but some searching on here reveals that is not always the case.

Any suggestions? Other than being a bloody annoyance I'd prefer to rectify the issue as I have the club airfield day on the horizon and want to ensure the car is performing as it should.

Cheers.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanted to add some annoying squeak solidarity..

Mine's had a rotational squeak from the rear left for a month or so, but it goes away instantly on touching the brakes. This weekend I've rebuilt my rear calipers (which weren't in nearly as bad a state as I was expecting), but it's made no difference at all. Next is some new rear disks because one of mine is partly rusted up where the pad would normally operate from when it was seized up. I can't believe it's that simple though.

I was wondering about bearings too. Definitely no play, and from the videos I've seen of wheel bearing noises (GavB posted one recently that sounded like somebody sawing some wood), this sounds nothing like it. It does sound exactly like brake squeal.

This is loud enough that people stop and turn in the street, so is a little embaressing.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a similar sounds. only occasionally. Low speed brake sort of rotational squeak from the rear. Normally goes away after a couple of seconds but quite loud and annoying. Doesn't feel like its pulling or binding - no excess heat or smells just the odd sound! Part of me is wondering if its just some brake dust which gets trapped occasionally causing the sound??
Old 04-27-2011, 07:47 AM

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Well, today I changed the relatively new unknown pads out for a set of OE Honda pads and shims. Noise is gone for the moment, although I am still bedding them in.

Just goes to show despite the cleaning of the brakes, pads, and the filing, crap pads are crap pads!