UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Jag XJ8

Old 11-07-2004, 04:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jag XJ8

I had to post this as I've never experienced anything like it-really made me piss.

This morning coming back from some shopping-I choose my usual quiet way back through an industrial estate (always deserted on Sunday).

Coming up to a set of traffic lights to turn left there is a purple Jag XJ8 already at a stop at the lights. No other cars around. He has no indicator on. Sure enough he turns left . I can just make out he is wearing a panama type hat & has a passenger.

I continue behind him at the speed limit (30 mph) with only the two of us on the road. There is a set of traffic lights ahead with two lanes straight on. He takes left lane I take right as I can see that another 200yds down the road the LH lane is blocked by a parked car. Light are on red. When lights turn green I quickly get to up to 35 ish. I am keeping an eye on him as I am wary of him pulling out without looking. He's about 3/4 of a car length back. As I go past the parked car I see him pull in right behind me about 3yds off my bumper-not a smooth lane change either but an agressive .

There's a red light 50yds past this parked car-again 2 lanes going forward-again parked cars in the left hand lane past this red light 100 yds ahead. He chooses left lane again.

Now I am thinking to myself "he seem to get a bit miffed a few seconds ago-God knows why. I reckon he might try to move off a bit faster from the lights this time. I didn't reckon on the following....

Lights turn green. He floors it . Naturally I oblige. I am quickly alongside. I look over & I have never seen someone over 70 so concentrated before. He was hunched over his steering wheel staring forward

As soon as we passed the parked cars I slowed down. He is behind me yet again.

Next set of lights he is turning right-I couldn't help it but pulled alongside, look over & just start laughing. Guy was approx 70, wife was about the same age. Looked like they had just been to church. They pointed a disapproving finger at me with the typical old condescending look-his wife (I presume the wife) winds down the window & tells me "not to be so childish". This made me laugh some more

Just had to share that with you. Brightened up my day. Mainly for the fact that these two are probably pillars of the local bridge club-never do anything wrong-and the guy probably thinks his Jag is the quickest thing on the road bar none
Old 11-07-2004, 04:12 AM

If it had been an XJR he would have killed you

I had a 4.0 V8 XJ* for a few years and it was a very quick car. Not so much from 0-60 but from 30 to 90 it flew

Although I didn't try and race Japanese sportscars from the lights (and I'm more than half the age of the average XJ owner)

Great cars though, I would have another one if I could afford to run it. At least it didn't spend every week in the dealers like my S2000
Old 11-07-2004, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by C7BLE,Nov 7 2004, 01:12 PM
If it had been an XJR he would have killed you
I know-but this was the bog standard XJ model
Old 11-07-2004, 04:26 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

I keep looking for an S2000 when I'm in the Daimler.

Would be hilarious if the road was straight enough and long enough.

Not too long though, or I might need to stop and fill up.

Back o/t, I find a surprising number of cars race you, mostly no-hopers.

People carriers. WTF. Vans. WT double F.

A lot of old people are bitter. Makes them quite aggressive on the road IME.

God only knows what I'll be like when I'm 75.

Old 11-07-2004, 07:31 AM
MrV

Like to think I;l be the same in 30 odd years givening the young whipper snappers a run for their money :-)

If his missus was givening you grief think of the stick he most likely got
Old 11-07-2004, 07:37 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=gaddafi,Nov 7 2004, 01:26 PM]Back o/t, I find a surprising number of cars race you, mostly no-hopers.

People carriers.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Sounds like my old man in the S he keeps telling me stories of burning people off!!
Old 11-08-2004, 12:32 AM
Xd

Calling all veteran owners, come in veteran owners. Blow these stereotypes away!!!!
Old 11-08-2004, 12:44 AM

had a ride out in a mate's XJS V12 yesterday....I think an S2000 would have a job staying with one in a straightline.....pulled like a train from a standing start all the way to 100ish
Old 11-08-2004, 02:48 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Bada Bing!,Nov 7 2004, 05:37 PM
You might enjoy this then.
:Miaow:

Nice one, BB. I enjoyed that!

Quick Reply: Jag XJ8