UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

K&N filter fitted

Old 07-29-2001, 03:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N filter fitted

Finally got the K&N freeflow airfilter fitted, along with my induction mods there is definitely a difference, slight induction roar (not bad on non V-TEC) and easier acceleration mid range very noticable, just waiting now for my suspension mods to come, any day hopfully
Old 07-29-2001, 09:35 AM

Does the K&N fit in the stock air box with the top cover on?

Had a chat with my dealer about the air box trick. He informed me that Honda has sent round a bulletin about it and that the position of the filter made it prone to damage by stones and that should the filter be damaged by a stone then repairs wouldn't be covered under warranty. Sound's like cr4p to me but I don't want to risk it.....

Missing that induction noise already.....
Old 07-29-2001, 09:45 AM

Originally posted by awinskill

Had a chat with my dealer about the air box trick. He informed me that Honda has sent round a bulletin about it and that the position of the filter made it prone to damage by stones and that should the filter be damaged by a stone then repairs wouldn't be covered under warranty. Sound's like cr4p to me but I don't want to risk it.....

Air box trick? You mean simply taking the cover off to hear the induction noise? How can stones get way up there to damage anything?
Old 07-29-2001, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by awinskill

Andy,firstly what is the "air box trick?" and yes the very latest K&N is an exact copy of the OEM in every detail and air box fits as original. Being a free flow filter you will get a bit of that induction noise you're missing
Old 07-29-2001, 10:57 AM

How can stones get up there exactly ?? Even with the cover off there is protection from the filter sitting inside the box. So a stone would have to fly over the lip of the box and down into the filter.. im not sure this is possible.

Anyhow, a solution may be to drill a series of holes in the top of the box so the sound can escape more but give protection from these miracle gravity defying stones.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SteveUCI
[B]Air box trick?
Old 07-29-2001, 08:55 PM

(Air box trick = taking the top cover off, such a simple thing but bloody lovely)

I agree, I couldn't see how stones could get up there either, but I do remember a thread over on the main bbs about an oil filter being holed by a stone.....

biker1 - where did you get the K&N and what was the model number?
Old 07-29-2001, 10:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I doubt very much that stones would damage the filter. Normally the biggest risk with an open filter, or induction kit is water ingestion - and that is a really small risk. At least if you're not driving you're Stook through fords

Leaving the air box cover for a while isn't going to cause any harm.

I would recommend against drilling the air box - you're not only looking for volume of air to get in, but how it gets in. You'll change the sound doing this, and it may not be what you want.

If I was looking for a nice induction noise I'd stick to a known brand filter - then you can be happy in the knowledge that it'll sound better, while the manufacturer should have tested it.

It's not going to give you many, if any bhp, but the phycological horsepower gains will be much higher

-Brian.
Old 07-30-2001, 08:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

O.K. ... intrugued by this I removed my airbox lid today. It sounds awesome!!!! I don't really buy this stone damage idea at all. Is it my imagination or is there an increase in power?? Surely the richer air intake must make a difference. It noticeably seems to pick up better from rest. Any thoughts on this
Old 07-30-2001, 09:54 AM

I used to remove my air filters on mini's (back in the good old days.....lol).
You could hear the engine sucking in the air and it certainly 'felt' a bit faster but I bet the positive gains are fairly minimal.
In my opinion it is the sound which is the magical ingredient
Old 07-30-2001, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been talking to a guy who used to be into rallying. He can't see any harm in leaving the cover off. He did point out that the lid forces the air intake on the filter box to draw in cold ram air from the front of the car. Cold air of course is what you need for performance. With the cover off, the filter is going to be sucking in hot air from the engine compartment. He thinks it would have some detrimental effect on mid-range power but probably minimal.
I think I'll leave off for a couple of days anyway

Quick Reply: K&N filter fitted