UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Koni shock problem

Old 09-07-2014, 07:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Koni shock problem

I was driving before on a 30mph road when I went over a small bump and heard a metallic clunk. I turned the music off and tried to see if it would make the same sound again over another bump which it didn't. When I got out to see if something had fallen off my car I noticed that the front left is a lot lower than it was previously. Just to be sure, I compared it to the other side and it is definitely lower. To the guys who have used koni shocks before and should know what I mean, I used the upper spring seat perch as I didn't want it to be too low. Do you's think it's possible that the perch could have popped out and onto the lower perch? It's the first thing that I thought of, but I don't have time to check it now so I'll have to get the wheel and shock off tomorrow to take a look. When I first installed the shocks the thought did cross my mind, the perch that holds the spring seat up is quite flimsy and doesn't locate very deep into the shock body. I had thought with all the weight of the car pushing down onto it and over bumps would it not be possible this would happen, but I've never come across anyone having any problems.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Are you sure you had it seated on the perch correctly? Once the little collar is in I don't see it moving down. If it wasn't fully in the groove I would imagine that's possible. I have mine on the lower perch though.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the perch spring has been moved more than once, maybe twice, it could be fecked - they tend to get warped into an oval if moved without the proper tool. If installed correctly, the perch springs should stay put - mine did! ;-)
Old 09-08-2014, 07:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I had a look and it's not a problem with the perch, all 4 are seated correctly. Went to the shop that did the install for a professionals opinion and he reckons it's just that side settling first. He said teins take a bit of time to settle. Told me to keep an eye on it to see if it gets drastically lower, but it shouldn't do. Guess that puts my mind at ease a little.