S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   UK & Ireland S2000 Community (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/)
-   -   More importers (Internet based) go bust. (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/more-importers-internet-based-go-bust-36850/)

UK Paul 11-29-2001 01:06 AM

More importers (Internet based) go bust.

Latest in Autocar, Carbusters.com, originally set-up by the Consumers Association has gone bust!!!

Follows on from GreyUK & JEM Vehicles going belly up, choose carefully if you're lurking! (Although I never believed for 1 second the prices GreyUK were dreaming up).

UKjasonm 11-29-2001 01:35 AM

Just backs up what I keep saying 'Go Direct to the Dealer'.

I cant understand why people use these companies, all they seem to do is add risk and hassle and then charge you approx 1K - 2K for the priviledge.

If you search the internet you'll find stacks of useful advice on doing it yourself, the paperwork involved is simple and you'll probably find the EU dealers a lot more friendly and helpful than some office clerk who doesnt know a clutch from crutch.

Dog Biscuit 11-29-2001 03:05 AM

... yet thousands and thousands of people save thousands and thousands of pounds every year by using importers.

I seem to remember a post about a Honda franchise collapsing somewhere? No-one is immune.

You pays your money, you takes your chance / choice.

UKjasonm 11-29-2001 04:03 AM

Originally posted by Dog Biscuit
... yet thousands and thousands of people save thousands and thousands of pounds every year by using importers.

I seem to remember a post about a Honda franchise collapsing somewhere? No-one is immune.

Im not doubting that people do save thousands, I just cant understand why people prefer to use these importers when its a simple job to do it yourself. The other thing is that if you ordered through a franchised Honda dealer then you would have some comback against Honda in that country.

UK Paul 11-29-2001 04:37 AM

Originally posted by Dog Biscuit

Honda UK, honour all orders, as they offer the franchise to said dealers, as I found out 4 years ago with my ITR!

Just a note for people extolling the virtues of some of these 'big saving' companies, what struck me was this was originally backed by such a big association, until they sold it on in April, having only realised

AnDy_PaNdY 11-29-2001 09:16 AM

I'll stick with my local dealer thanks.:)

Dog Biscuit 11-29-2001 11:17 PM

Had a surf yesterday and could find no mention of carbusters going bust. Checked Which? and did a search. Sure it's carbusters? Oneswoop run carbusters, but that was taken over ages ago.

UKjasonm 11-29-2001 11:37 PM

I think it is carbusters but it did say in the report that business has been transferred to another company but I cannot remember who it was.

Dog Biscuit 11-30-2001 03:48 AM

Carbusters was originally run by the Consumers Association (Which? magazine) to pressure UK dealer prices. Because of its huge success and an increase in profits they decided to keep "neutral & independent" by off-loading it.

Or that's how I understood it!

... now, where's my flippin' car, 10 weeks to go at least, will the bugger ever arrive, perhaps it's a sign that I should keep my

AnDy_PaNdY 11-30-2001 03:58 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dog Biscuit
[B]
... now, where's my flippin' car, 10 weeks to go at least, will the bugger ever arrive, perhaps it's a sign that I should keep my