UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Need help please

Old 02-21-2011, 05:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help please

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help me please?

I have just found out my car was imported from Malta.

An oxygen is not working on it, Honda say the repair is covered under warranty but will charge me £280 if I cant supply them with a copy of the original purchase reciet, letter of conformity and proof PDI was carried out.

I am the second owner, I contacted the Mitsubishi dealer I bought the car off but they say its a UK car and have stopped answering my emails, Honda insist it came from Malta.

I have written to the original owner and am waiting to see if he replies.

Can anyone suggest any other ways of getting this information?

Thank you for your help.

Martin.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:07 AM

What rubbish! Surely this is just BS!

The warranty period for your car being a Euro import is 3 years or 60,000 miles.

You're within both I assume and have a full Honda Service History so I don't understand what the problem is!

I've checked this a few times with Cypriot import cars and if you're in warranty, you're entlted to warranty work.

Where are you based?

Old 02-21-2011, 05:08 AM

Sorry, should have said that the only warranty difference is that UK cars get 3 years or 90,000 mile warranty.

I might be wrong and there are others more in the know than me but i've never heard of having to give in all this documentation!
Old 02-21-2011, 05:15 AM

My guess is that the key problem is the PDI.
That's Pre Delivery Inspection.

In several places I have worked the car/tractor/airplane warranty only become valid once the PDI is complete and all the different parts have been checked before handing to the customer.

The product is normally checked before it leaves the factory and then checked at the PDI – if anything is found broken during the PDI then there's a different procedure to follow compared to anything that broke after the car was handed to the customer.

From a customer point of view it's BS and hot air and you just want the car fixed – but from a dealer/company point of view you can't make a warranty claim for work if you don't have a PDI and warranty start date.

I'd guess that most UK cars would be in the nationwide Honda system and those details would be available to any dealer – but if this car came from Malta (allegedly) then the details aren’t there so the dealer can't make a warranty claim.

Get on Skype and call the Honda Head office in Malta and see what they have to say.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:25 AM

Thank you very much for your help.

I will try to contact Honda in Malta, I'm really fed up with they way the dealer is treating me.

If I have to pay that's fair enough, but the service manager as promised to call me several times, he said he as got this info himself for customers with cars from Cyprus but as given me no help at all.

Once again thank you for your help.

Martin.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:30 AM

Martin, where are you based?
Old 02-21-2011, 06:01 AM

Hello Stookystar,

I'm in Sutton Coldfield.

Martin.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who was the original supplying dealer/importer?

Mines a Bob Gerrard import and had all the necessary paperwork done at handover. They told me they had to send copies of the original invoice to HUK. Motorpoint and some other car supermarkets were also importing them. I did get a couple of certificates of conformity but I didn't have to lift a finger.

I've heard of other people having warranty issues but usually the discrepancy between dates of sale.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:48 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You get a certificate of conformity by telephoning HUK and requesting one.

Customer service seems very hit and miss with Honda of late, this instance seems pretty appalling to me.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:50 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin T,Feb 21 2011, 02:04 PM
Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help me please?

I have just found out my car was imported from Malta.

An oxygen is not working on it, Honda say the repair is covered under warranty but will charge me £280 if I cant supply them with a copy of the original purchase reciet, letter of conformity and proof PDI was carried out.

I am the second owner, I contacted the Mitsubishi dealer I bought the car off but they say its a UK car and have stopped answering my emails, Honda insist it came from Malta.

I have written to the original owner and am waiting to see if he replies.

Can anyone suggest any other ways of getting this information?

Thank you for your help.

Martin.
Is the dealer telling you that or Honda themselves?

I certainly didn't register my car with honda when it was supplied from Bob Gerard and other than a dispute over the date of expiry of the warranty (which Honda UK capitulated over) i've never had any issues with warranty claims.

Edit: BG have a good relationship with my honda dealer so may well have sent in the invoice themselves.

Quick Reply: Need help please