UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

New engine

Old 05-16-2011, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New engine

So my car starting making a horrible noise that my friend said sounded like typical parts in the cat vibrating. Then the oil light came on momentarily whilst my girlfriend was driving and I said we need to get it in after checking engine oil level (was fine).

So they have had it today and then call me to say it needs a new engine, but it may not be under warranty as they believe it was being driven with low oil levels. I asked them to tell me if the engine oil level was fine right now to which they said yes...I then went on to tell them that I had never put any oil or taken any oil out since I received the car last year as it was never required. Therefore if it has the same oil now as when I purchased the car, how could it ever have been low (in my possesion).

The car is a 2009, ex demo as they stopped making them and ive done aroudn 10K miles on top of the 10K that was already on it.

Now I searched for warranty new engine s2000 and I see many threads on this forum with people getting new engines on '09 models for similar sounding problems. Did people have the same experience in that they wanted you to first "accept the possible charge of 5 hours labour if the fault is to be found not under warranty"? And how the hell can it not be under warranty when its as good as brand new car when sold to me, ive driven it round within the means of normal driving (sufficient oil/etc) and its only just come up for needing a service at the same time the problem has started.

I will fight it tooth and nail as I cannot for the life of me understand that a fault develops throuh normal driving on a new car that requires a new engine and they are talking about not fixing it under warranty...how can I possibly have "voided" the warranty.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:04 AM

Sounds like bollocks to me. You could try another dealer.

It's up to them to prove that the car was low on oil at some point, if that is their plan for getting out of it.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:06 AM

name the dealer ?
Old 05-16-2011, 06:11 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

You could be in trouble I'm afraid.

Under the terms of the warranty, the car is supposed to be serviced every year or 9,000 miles (whichever come sooner) and from your post it seems that you've driven 10,000 miles already without having it serviced, which means you're in breach of the terms.

Do have a read of the small print to confirm this. Sorry to be the bearer of potential bad news.

Good luck
Old 05-16-2011, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
You could be in trouble I'm afraid.

Under the terms of the warranty, the car is supposed to be serviced every year or 9,000 miles (whichever come sooner) and from your post it seems that you've driven 10,000 miles already without having it serviced, which means you're in breach of the terms.

Do have a read of the small print to confirm this. Sorry to be the bearer of potential bad news.

Good luck

I *think* I'm okay on this front because I'm sure the car had just been serviced when I had it, being ex-demo with 10K on it had its 9K service...I might be a tad over the 18K having not yet got the service though.

The dealer is Listers Avondale of Solihull.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:16 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I would feel quite confident on getting your claim given the spate of 09 issues, it being such a new car and not being that far over the service interval.

If they get funny one of you will have to prove that lack of service was / was not not detrimental to the failure. Given it's just oil and fitler, and maybe plugs, I don't think they will have a leg to stand on.

I would definately take a good 0.5 litre sample of the oil in case you need to get it sent to be analysed.

Also elevate it straight to Honda top brass if as soon as you feel it's not going your way. Get things in writing too.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:08 AM

Had the same experience. I paid to have them take sump off and check for swarf / debris which apparently would be there if ran low on oil. No such signs.

I then spoke to Honda UK and agreed to have a engine strip to find problem which turned out to be a spun bearing.

My advice would be to speak to honda Uk before going any further. My Car was well out of warranty but i was still helped by honda substantially with a replacement lower engine. I was lucky to that my local dealer were very helpful.

Hope all works out for you.

Martin
Old 05-16-2011, 09:11 AM

There are problems with 09 engines as you've read

The issue is bottom end related and Honda are fully aware of the issue even if they will not acknowledge the fact publicly

My money is on a manufacturing fault with either the shells, crankshaft thrust washers or big end bearings

Bristol Honda have changed at least 5 engines under warranty with similar issues, albeit they let go with less miles than yours

Make your dealer aware that you know about the issues affecting some cars

Can you describe the noise in more detail ?

Is it a typical "knock" kind of noise ? You mentioned it sounded like the cat rattling ............

And how would the dealer know if the car has been low on oil if the oil level is ok now ?

Have they stripped the engine and examined it ?
Old 05-17-2011, 01:44 AM
Banned

From personal experience with Avondale Solihull, I would be surprised if they didn;t do everything they could for you. Make sure you are talking to the right folks as they have done right by me before.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by GREGSTERWIZ
Can you describe the noise in more detail ?

Is it a typical "knock" kind of noise ? You mentioned it sounded like the cat rattling ............

And how would the dealer know if the car has been low on oil if the oil level is ok now ?

Have they stripped the engine and examined it ?
The noise comes quite loud as soon as you apply any level of acceleration, a very loud ratling noise like two pieces of metal rattling together very violently. The last time I heard a sound like this was on a fiat uno that I leant to a friend and continued to drive it even though the oil light came on and eventually ceased up.

I have no idea how they thoguht they knew the car had been driven with low oil, no real work had been carried out as far as I know (in terms of opening up the engine). THey hadnt had it more than a couple of hours when drawing this conclusion.

Anyway, the good news, today they called to say its all being done under warranty...new engine arriving in a couple of days and keeping courtesy car whilst all work is done. THey spoke to my girlfriend today so I dont know what they found, but I guess the tests proved I hadnt been driving it with low oil

Quick Reply: New engine