S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   UK & Ireland S2000 Community (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/)
-   -   New owner long time fan (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/new-owner-long-time-fan-1205805/)

S2kTMR 01-09-2021 02:04 AM

New owner long time fan

Hi, after many years of persuasion I finally gained permission from my wife to buy my dream car. I have bought a 2005 S2K in moonrock with black trim. The car has only done 18000 miles and has been lovingly cared for by one owner and enthusiast. Sadly I don’t have a garage and will have to park Laurel (sorry I name my cars) on my drive. I have been advised by some to use an outdoor all weather cover but others have told me that this will scratch the paintwork. I can put up a carport but I am not sure if this will protect the car anymore than leaving it in the open. My daughter has agreed to garage it for this winter but will be converting her garage in the summer. My question I suppose is three fold: 1, cover Y/N? 2, Carport Y/N? 3, What are the s2k specific risks of leaving the car in the open, for example does water leak into the roof well and cause rust in the way some MX 5s do?
I appreciate any experienced advice from s2k owners.
many thanks
Tony

martin j 01-09-2021 02:45 AM

First, welcome and congrats, a carport attached to the house or even a side or two enclosed must help? There are decent fitted/shaped covers out there, someone here must have used one and have some experience to offer.

S2000_sam 01-09-2021 02:53 AM

Welcome to this crazy world of S2K ownership

S2000_sam 01-09-2021 03:08 AM

The ideal would be a garage, preferably heated. That aside a car port is probably your best bet (as long as you don’t live near the sea and it’s corrosive sea air). The roof with obviously protect it from the elements, rain, atmospheric fall out, bird poo and UV light which deteriorates your soft top. As our cars all get older, damp is one of the biggest threats. An enclosed garage with no air movement can actually cause condensation inside our cars. A car port with open sides isint the worst as it will allow air movement over the car. To me an outside a car cover is a big no no. They can make the car sweat and could lead to paintwork damage. An outside Carcoon might be worth considering. They basically put your car in an air sealed bubble, without it touching your paintwork. They also pass a flow of air through the bubble aswell, thus keeping it moisture free.

Moisture is one of the biggest enemies. All our cars are deteriorating with time. Your roof (if it’s still original) is made of vinyl and does get affected by UV rays. An application of something like 303 Aerospace Protectant helps protect it. The rubber seals also perish. Shin etsu silicone grease helps keeps your rubbers supple and correct. There are other bodywork joints/seals that can perish and allow the ingress of damp too.

S2kTMR 01-09-2021 03:17 AM

Thank you s2000_sam.
I have a lot to learn. I will go ahead with a car port and look into the products you recommended. The car is all original an there is ever so slight wear on the roof just above the bars. Would you recommend a ceramic coating?

S2000_sam 01-09-2021 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by S2kTMR (Post 24804350)
Thank you s2000_sam.
I have a lot to learn. I will go ahead with a car port and look into the products you recommended. The car is all original an there is ever so slight wear on the roof just above the bars. Would you recommend a ceramic coating?

Youll find all the help you need on this forum, you’re now part of a very helpful bunch of people.

The roof wear you have is normal. While any good quality wax, polish, sealant or ceramic coating will be a good base, a ceramic coating is probably the best. Personally speaking I haven’t used such a product but I know a few other fellow owners who have and do vouch for it.

S2kTMR 01-09-2021 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by S2kTMR (Post 24804350)
Thank you s2000_sam.

Thanks again!

martin j 01-09-2021 04:45 AM

Mine is kept in a garage with lots of ventilation, it’s always cold n windy in there, I always have a window open to stop condensation forming in the car. Never had any car ceramic coated or other fancy coating, I get pleasure from the wash n wax therapy job.

H10NDR 01-09-2021 05:41 AM

My 2004 Berlina Black is also kept outside on the drive. I have tried car covers and even a ventilated and tight fitting one rubbed scratches into the paint on all corners. I gave up in the end.
I only used it when the forecast was for prolonged wet weather and didnt want the roof getting sodden for days on end. I now have the hardtop on from Nov - March so it can rain as much as it likes.

martin j 01-09-2021 05:50 AM

Is it possible to get a tent like structure with ribs making the frame, a bit like the way the hood is made? A mini garage.

A bit taller than I meant but like these?
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/c/sheds/