S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   UK & Ireland S2000 Community (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/)
-   -   New owner long time fan (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/new-owner-long-time-fan-1205805/)

Chuck S 01-10-2021 04:27 AM

There are roof covers which will help protect the fabric roof. The link is to a US site but since they're probably made in PRC I'm betting they're everywhere.

The roof frame will rub thru the roof panel. Put some reinforcement fabric on the inside of the roof and smooth the frame. Honda manufacturing left a burr on the frame that will eventually cut thru the top.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...c60b98b13d.jpg

If they salt the roads in your area there will be salt dust all over the road which will eat your car eventually. A couple of rains and then dry roads seem to flush it away. Puddles after a rain in "salt country" are brine. Wait until decent weather -- we know this is hard! Summer tires on the car have poor handing in temperatures below 50°F (certainly below 40°F) and we read about the S2000 swapping ends on round-abouts and freeway ramps from lost traction.

You've waited but be patient and enjoy the car.

-- Chuck

S2kTMR 01-10-2021 06:49 AM

thanks Sam, I will definitely get on to that, great advice

S2kTMR 01-10-2021 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S (Post 24804603)
There are roof covers which will help protect the fabric roof. The link is to a US site but since they're probably made in PRC I'm betting they're everywhere.

The roof frame will rub thru the roof panel. Put some reinforcement fabric on the inside of the roof and smooth the frame. Honda manufacturing left a burr on the frame that will eventually cut thru the top.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...c60b98b13d.jpg

If they salt the roads in your area there will be salt dust all over the road which will eat your car eventually. A couple of rains and then dry roads seem to flush it away. Puddles after a rain in "salt country" are brine. Wait until decent weather -- we know this is hard! Summer tires on the car have poor handing in temperatures below 50°F (certainly below 40°F) and we read about the S2000 swapping ends on round-abouts and freeway ramps from lost traction.

You've waited but be patient and enjoy the car.

-- Chuck

Thanks Chuck, good to know, I will get on to it. Great to get so much advice on here!

corth1024@gmail.com 01-13-2021 05:15 AM

If you park your car outside, my advice is: Do NOT lock your car. Keep nothing of value inside of it. I had my roof cut when I was out of town for a couple of weeks. There was nothing in the car to steal, but they didn't know that when they started cutting. I'm sure there is still a risk with the door unlocked, but nothing I keep in the car is worth the price of a new top.

I hope you enjoy driving your S2000 as much as I enjoy driving mine!

S2kTMR 01-13-2021 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by corth1024@gmail.com (Post 24805644)
If you park your car outside, my advice is: Do NOT lock your car. Keep nothing of value inside of it. I had my roof cut when I was out of town for a couple of weeks. There was nothing in the car to steal, but they didn't know that when they started cutting. I'm sure there is still a risk with the door unlocked, but nothing I keep in the car is worth the price of a new top.

I hope you enjoy driving your S2000 as much as I enjoy driving mine!

thanks for the heads up!

Chuck S 01-13-2021 06:41 AM

Happened to a buddy years ago when he parked at the airport for a few days out of town on business and found the roof slashed on his return. He never locked the car for the reason above but a well meaning acquaintance spotted the unlocked car in the parking lot and helpfully locked it. :(

-- Chuck

TomCross 01-13-2021 06:51 AM

2005 s2k

I too have a 2005 S2000. But it has to share the garage with all my woodworking equipment. So I have a fitted cover that I use whether the car in inside or if I push it outside to make more space. I worry more about the sun fading the paint than I do with small scratches. Mine is water resistant, but always make sure the top is up if it gets left out in the rain! toQUOTE=S2kTMR;24804341]Hi, after many years of persuasion I finally gained permission from my wife to buy my dream car. I have bought a 2005 S2K in moonrock with black trim. The car has only done 18000 miles and has been lovingly cared for by one owner and enthusiast. Sadly I don’t have a garage and will have to park Laurel (sorry I name my cars) on my drive. I have been advised by some to use an outdoor all weather cover but others have told me that this will scratch the paintwork. I can put up a carport but I am not sure if this will protect the car anymore than leaving it in the open. My daughter has agreed to garage it for this winter but will be converting her garage in the summer. My question I suppose is three fold: 1, cover Y/N? 2, Carport Y/N? 3, What are the s2k specific risks of leaving the car in the open, for example does water leak into the roof well and cause rust in the way some MX 5s do?
I appreciate any experienced advice from s2k owners.
many thanksI
Tony[/QUOTE]

Chuck S 01-13-2021 07:21 AM

https://www.northerntool.com/images/..._2000x2000.jpg

Permissibility will depend on local zoning, HOAs, and your wife. Remember, it's her house -- you're just a boarder. :)

-- Chuck

arsie 01-13-2021 07:57 AM

I had a good deal and not being a lover of cleaning and polishing got my 'e' ceramic coated.

Apart from the obvious beading - showing it is doing it's job - a local pigeon dropped a stick of bombs shit across the car.

Whereas before this stuff reacted with the paintwork and etched itself in, now it just forms a dry scab on the top which rinsed off with lukewarm water and a sponge.

TomCross 01-13-2021 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by S2kTMR (Post 24804341)
Hi, after many years of persuasion I finally gained permission from my wife to buy my dream car. I have bought a 2005 S2K in moonrock with black trim. The car has only done 18000 miles and has been lovingly cared for by one owner and enthusiast. Sadly I don’t have a garage and will have to park Laurel (sorry I name my cars) on my drive. I have been advised by some to use an outdoor all weather cover but others have told me that this will scratch the paintwork. I can put up a carport but I am not sure if this will protect the car anymore than leaving it in the open. My daughter has agreed to garage it for this winter but will be converting her garage in the summer. My question I suppose is three fold: 1, cover Y/N? 2, Carport Y/N? 3, What are the s2k specific risks of leaving the car in the open, for example does water leak into the roof well and cause rust in the way some MX 5s do?
I appreciate any experienced advice from s2k owners.
many thanks
Tony

Originally Posted by arsie (Post 24805720)
I had a good deal and not being a lover of cleaning and polishing got my 'e' ceramic coated.

Apart from the obvious beading - showing it is doing it's job - a local pigeon dropped a stick of bombs shit across the car.

Whereas before this stuff reacted with the paintwork and etched itself in, now it just forms a dry scab on the top which rinsed off with lukewarm water and a sponge.

Good idea!