UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

petrol?

Old 07-02-2013, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default petrol?

I use Shell Nitro which is great IMHO. Does anyone know what the equivalent is from the other companies are. Anyone tried Tesco's 99 RON fuel?
Old 07-02-2013, 10:31 AM

Been using Tesco 99 for nearly 8 yrs in the two S's I've owned. I get around 300 miles to a tank pretty consistently, they've both run fine on it. I've had 360 miles from a tank but that was all motorway. V power is supposed to be good too, I've used it on occasion but it seems to be very overpriced for what it is and it made no difference to the Momentum.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:35 AM

There is no equivalent, Shell fuel is superior to any other forecourt fuel out there. Here is a copy and paste of what I wrote about it on another post....

Shell fuel is far superior to any other fuel you can buy. I have always been interested in things like this, so do a lot of reading up on it and research. Optimax was the first version I used but never on anything that had any power. They then introduced V Power which was a better fuel overall. All 99 0ctane IIRC. Japan has a higher octane fuel available, that's why they used to get 185hp out of the EK9, but you would probably struggle getting that over here with one, and probably why when I have had VTIs they pretty much keep up with a standard EK9, there isn't much in it at all.

Anyway, then recently came V Power Nitro +, it isn't anything to do with nitrous, but nitrogen. This fuel has 25% more friction modifiers in it than the previous V Power, which is great stuff, it basically means that your engine doesn't have to work as hard to move the components around, which in turn will increase horsepower and efficiency. It is the same octane as the previous V Power though (99).

One point that is often never mentioned by people when discussing V Power fuel is its cleaning properties, its amazing stuff. A quick search on youtube will show you a video where they place a valve in a jar of standard fuel and V Power. The valve in the standard fuel doesn't do anything and you can clearly see the valve, the jar that contains the V Power completely hides the valve from view, it has removed the carbon deposits from the valve so well that its completely clouded the fuel.

It cleans the engine and keeps everything nice and shiny )

As well as all these great things, it also creates more horsepower. Even in little engines, low power cars, but really comes into itself when used in tuned, high performance engines.

Another quick search on youtube (one of the best inventions ever). Look up "5th Gear fuel comparison" or something similar and you will be pretty impressed.

They tried stock fuel, BP Ultimate and Shell (optimax I think at the time).

Its brilliant. They used a small runaround car, a golf GTi and a Scooby Impreza. They weren't comparing MPG for this experiment although as proved by myself and by the looks of it by others on here Shell fuel does that too.

So they did test runs on all fuels, emptied the tanks and then filled with the next fuel, and rolling roaded each vehicle.

I cant remember the actual figures, but BP did improve HP over stock fuel, but Shell improved over both, and by quite significant figures, as well as much higher torgue figures.

Well worth watching the above mentioned videos, I didn't link them as some forums ive used don't allow links to youtube. Go and have a look.

All I can say IMO, is BUY Shell fuel Nitro + whenever you can, no I don't work for them, but I believe in their products. You cant argue with better MPG, better performance all for I think 7/8p a litre extra. I use it in my tuned ZX6R and its amazing with it, much smoother, more power and I actually get around 20-30 miles more to a tank when using it, amazing on an engine that revs to 16,500rpm.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:40 AM

Yep Shell is the best of the best, have a good friend who works at a very reputable engine development company who do the likes of Mclaren, Aston Martin and others who showed me the proof in the testing
Old 07-02-2013, 10:59 AM

great replies guys. I'll keep using Nitro.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:38 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Firstly V-power Nitro+ smells good and I like it and will drive out of my way to find it. So don't get me wrong but does a fuel really need 25% more friction modifiers ? is there really that much friction that isn't lubricated by the actual friction modifiers in the oil. Plus if it dissolves carbon the what's it doing to the lubrication properties of the oil it comes into contact with ?

FWIW a decent water mist through a revving engine will also clean the carbon off the valves/pistons and you can also find other comparisons that back Tesco 99 over Optimax like this one

Nitro+ is a good petrol but it seems a lot of it's magical powers are in the marketing department
Old 07-02-2013, 01:26 PM

Like I posted, watch the videos on youtube and you will see how well it works. Well worth 7/8p a litre more and considering these engines are designed to work with higher octane fuels, seems odd to really question it. A no brainer for me!
Old 07-02-2013, 01:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

People who work in oil and gas (like i used to) will tell you most of the stuff comes from the same refinery - i think this is still true, I think they just add additives or even that is the same.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:14 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I work for one of them
Old 07-02-2013, 02:18 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadly Aura
There is no equivalent, Shell fuel is superior to any other forecourt fuel out there. Here is a copy and paste of what I wrote about it on another post....

Shell fuel is far superior to any other fuel you can buy. I have always been interested in things like this, so do a lot of reading up on it and research. Optimax was the first version I used but never on anything that had any power. They then introduced V Power which was a better fuel overall. All 99 0ctane IIRC. Japan has a higher octane fuel available, that's why they used to get 185hp out of the EK9, but you would probably struggle getting that over here with one, and probably why when I have had VTIs they pretty much keep up with a standard EK9, there isn't much in it at all.

Anyway, then recently came V Power Nitro +, it isn't anything to do with nitrous, but nitrogen. This fuel has 25% more friction modifiers in it than the previous V Power, which is great stuff, it basically means that your engine doesn't have to work as hard to move the components around, which in turn will increase horsepower and efficiency. It is the same octane as the previous V Power though (99).

One point that is often never mentioned by people when discussing V Power fuel is its cleaning properties, its amazing stuff. A quick search on youtube will show you a video where they place a valve in a jar of standard fuel and V Power. The valve in the standard fuel doesn't do anything and you can clearly see the valve, the jar that contains the V Power completely hides the valve from view, it has removed the carbon deposits from the valve so well that its completely clouded the fuel.

It cleans the engine and keeps everything nice and shiny )

As well as all these great things, it also creates more horsepower. Even in little engines, low power cars, but really comes into itself when used in tuned, high performance engines.

Another quick search on youtube (one of the best inventions ever). Look up "5th Gear fuel comparison" or something similar and you will be pretty impressed.

They tried stock fuel, BP Ultimate and Shell (optimax I think at the time).

Its brilliant. They used a small runaround car, a golf GTi and a Scooby Impreza. They weren't comparing MPG for this experiment although as proved by myself and by the looks of it by others on here Shell fuel does that too.

So they did test runs on all fuels, emptied the tanks and then filled with the next fuel, and rolling roaded each vehicle.

I cant remember the actual figures, but BP did improve HP over stock fuel, but Shell improved over both, and by quite significant figures, as well as much higher torgue figures.

Well worth watching the above mentioned videos, I didn't link them as some forums ive used don't allow links to youtube. Go and have a look.

All I can say IMO, is BUY Shell fuel Nitro + whenever you can, no I don't work for them, but I believe in their products. You cant argue with better MPG, better performance all for I think 7/8p a litre extra. I use it in my tuned ZX6R and its amazing with it, much smoother, more power and I actually get around 20-30 miles more to a tank when using it, amazing on an engine that revs to 16,500rpm.
You should work for Shell!

Whilst I use it and rate it, on normally aspirated S2000s I personally wouldn't be bothered which SUL I put in it. I think people get too excited about this subject and kid themselves they can 'feel' a difference, which is borderline ridiculous imo, if you know how ECUs work.

You may find BP has better cleaning agents in it than others... who knows

Quick Reply: petrol?