UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

is 'quick' steering a hinderess or a help?

Old 01-08-2005, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is 'quick' steering a hinderess or a help?

the S2000 has a quick steering rack but I wonder if this has contributed to an 'over-correction' element to people getting into trouble?

I took the Ferrari out this afternoon and while having a 'play' and by that I mean some opposite lock moments......it struck me that a slower steering rack which the Ferrari has may be benevicial in that to over-correct demands a certain amount of effort.....with the S2000 half a turn if not 'unwound' correctly could cause issues

I was negotiating a rounabout exit at around 70mph (cough cough) and provoked a 'waggle' and to be honest to a great extent the car took care of itself with a minumal input from myself...for someome inxeperienced with a quicker steering rack the outcome may have been different

What I am suggesting is that the maority of S2000 drivers green to RWD don't know what the they are doing when approaching the limit and the quicker rack just makes things worse........with a slower rack the car might just make the difference

If I rememember correctly some muppet confronted with an oversteer situation steered away from the skid?????............ stick to a Civic
Old 01-08-2005, 09:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Often wondered about this one myself.
TBH I think it's more to do with how light the steering is rather than the speed. (Maybe a combination of the two?).
Old 01-08-2005, 09:56 AM

Yes and No. I think it's fit's in with the character of the car, although some might get 'caught out'. On the other hand, have it too slow and it stops you putting good opposite lock on quickly. What I liked about the S (and moreso the westie which you hardly have to turn at all!) is that crossing arms rarely ever happens (apart from parking) thus enabling better control. Some may like this, some may not and at the end of the day really comes down to driver preference.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:58 AM

I wish the rack was quicker on the S, prefer it that way.
Old 01-08-2005, 10:23 AM

As long as your used to the car quick steering can only be an advantage. The problem with slow reaction steering is that if the tail comes out by a significant amount can you catch it quick enough? Anyone green to RWD should get them and their S on the skid pan quick for some learning!
Old 01-08-2005, 10:40 AM

Have to agree. I regularly drive the S and a 1995 BMW 328i Coupe on the track and airfield days.

The steering is much quicker in the S than the BMW and it means you have to be very precise and delicate with it. In the BM you can almost be as hamfisted as you like, yanking the steering from lock to lock and drifting the car all over the place.

Every time I've spun the S on track it's been due to over-correcting rather than late braking or being too agressive with the throttle. But once you get the hang of it and learn to trust that the S just doesn't require very much lock, I would keep the quick steering.

Incidentally, I think I would be marginally quicker in the S than the BMW round a given track, but not by much.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the quick steering rack! My BMW is painfully slow!