UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Rear Speaker wiring

Old 09-06-2001, 03:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Speaker wiring

I want to put some rear speakers in and i note from the wiring that there is not a straight forward way to 'plug in' to the rear speaker wires on the head unit.

How do you guys do it?

Do i just connect some wires to the speaker ones by 'biting' into the relevant ones with a special kind of 'wire biting into' connector?

thanks in anticipation

joe
Old 09-06-2001, 07:39 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you're not a tinkerer, I would suggest you email Lucid and get his pre-fab connectors. I am about to wire mine up (when I find the time). I have just purchased a Honda type harness that I have taken apart to get the wires with the pins on the ends. The stock radio and harness do not have wires or pins for the rear speakers even though the connection slots are there. I plan to implant these pirated wires and pins into those empty slots and incorporate them into the stock harness. I'll post the results on a thread I've already started about using the OEM speakers for the Lucid rear speaker install. My way will not allow me to mute the rear speakers. Lucid's connectors WILL. Your choice.
Old 09-09-2001, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey I did it!

I now have a stunning sound all around me and have learned a thing or two in the process...

1) Dremmel rocks! I bought the little cherub just for this job thinking "I'll take it back when i have done the job" (B&Q have a money back guarantee if not completely satisfied). Well let me tell you I am keeping it. I used the Dremmel to cut the holes in the rear plastic panel behind the seats, dril the holes, sand the edges nice and neat and trim the bolts i used to fix the speakers.

2) Car audio fitting is a piece of cake when you have web sites like this stocked full of useful info and enthusiasts who freely offer advice and photos.

I cut cardboard templates the exact same size as the plastic panels and used them as full-working templates for the speaker location. Re-working the "Measure twice and cut once" philosophy I measured twice and cut thrice (one card dutting session and two plastic panel cutting sessions).

The whole thing fits like a glove, the wiring was easy and the sound is awesome. I now have an Alpine MD head unit, 2 kenwoods in the front, 2 pioneers in the back (new model very high frequency range so the treble really comes around both sides of your head) and an Alpine CD changer in the boot.

The stereo is now clear and detailed at license busting speeds with the roof down.

SO thankyou to everyone who gave me advice and confidence, it was easy to do and i wish i had done it 15 months ago when i got the car.

jc