UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

recommended mods for track

Old 12-11-2011, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default recommended mods for track

Just got an s2000 with the plan for as many track days as possible next year, so, what mods are tried and tested or recommended for track work. got the winter to work on it.
So far got polybushes on order to replace and get the geo spot on, braided hoses and race brake fluid to install.

Suspension wise what are peoples views and experiences, will still be using on the road but as a second car so not too concerned with major harshness day to day.
Brakes seem pretty good so far , will probably go for dixel discs and pads at some point but any other suggestions that are more cost effective???
Cooling, is the standard rad up to the job on track ???
Baffeled sump, necessary or not????
Idealy would like to go for a supercharger conversion at some point in the future, as standard the cars not that quick in a straight line compared to what im used to. Anyones experiene in how long term reliable a supeer charged s2k is on track, any issues with cooling ect.

cheers
Old 12-11-2011, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drop me a PM and i'll drive it round track for you. It'll go faster then

At least 30 threads on this - do a search and see what you can find out
Old 12-11-2011, 01:14 PM
Banned

Depends on your budget in all honesty.

Nitron/Ohlin will be the best for track but your spending the car's value on them + fitting and GEO.

I'd suggest Buddyclub N+ as they weather well if your going to be using the car on the road, Geometry and corner weighting, Brake pad upgrade + lines and fluid, semi slicks and a bucket seat. Engine standard and get out there and do as many trackdays as you can.

Hope that helps.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:27 PM
Banned

it completely depends on budget

keeping it N/A i would simply recommend
- good suspension pref coilovers + geo setup (nitrons if budget allows)
- up-rated disks, pads & fluid
- simi slick road tyres or full btcc slicks on spare wheels (tyres will make the most different to your lap time for the money you spend)
- weight saving - exhaust, de-cat, manifold and induction kit, remove passenger seat,
- decent bucket seat & harness (maybe different steering wheel)
- baffled sump

then LOTS of seat time to practise

supercharged/turbo'd
all above plus
- ally rad (larger core)
- oil cooler (if not with kit already)
- lower temp opening thermostat + water temp switch (not critical)

HTH Rob
Old 12-11-2011, 01:52 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Hi Yorkie, let us know your budget.

I've done this a few times now, and pretty much aligned with R8's post. My advice would be to just do the brakes as step 1. Advice would be Dixcels from DMS on here. They are simply awesome. And some good fluid, RBF600. And get a track biased Geo.

After that i'd do coilovers. Don't skimp here, but 2 and 3 way are unecessary. I have 2 way Nitron as I got a nice deal from Dixon and Nitron, but i'd be happy with 1 way and they are easier to use as a novice. Notron do a full range, but KW and Bilstein are also popular and proven on the S. Ohlins are in the same price range as Nitron. Another ride height and geo setup needed.

Then semi slicks and baffled sump.

A racing seat would be high on the list, but a PITA on the S2000.

Of course driver training overarches all of this.

Or you can just give me £20k and take my car off me
Old 12-11-2011, 02:41 PM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by rob2.2
full btcc slicks on spare wheels (tyres will make the most different to your lap time for the money you spend)

I'm pretty sure that full slicks are a very bad idea as you'll need to have a rollcage fitted to use them on track days.

Also, I wouldn't bother wasting your money on brake lines - IIRC those in the S2000 are very short, so there's little benefit to be gained. As others have mentioned, the Dixcels are great, if a little expensive (My last two sets of front pads have lasted just two track days). Looking at a BBK from the likes of K-Sport might perhaps be more beneficial in the long run.

I have the Bilsteins and I'd say they are little soft for a dedicated track day car, but they are simply superb on the road. On that point, remember that, in general, the better you make on track, the worse it becomes for road use.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:45 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Si, have you though of some cooling for your Dixcels? Will make them last much longer. Some simple ducting mods out there for the fronts. I might do it this year. Brakes had a fair bit of smoke coming from them at Donny!
Old 12-11-2011, 02:47 PM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by MB
Si, have you though of some cooling for your Dixcels? Will make them last much longer. Some simple ducting mods out there for the fronts. I might do it this year. Brakes had a fair bit of smoke coming from them at Donny!
I think it was related to the slotted discs, so I've got some plain discs on the way - will see how that goes - they certainly lasted a lot longer when I had them previously.

At Cadwell, they were over 100C cooler than Dan Hale's OEM