UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Scotland Road Trip

Old 10-30-2007, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scotland Road Trip

I have a couple of days holiday to use before the end of the year and I'm thinking of heading North.

My plan is to leave London on Saturday afternoon and get to Glasgow where I'll stay the night.
Sunday, set of for John O'Groats and arrive sometime on Sunday.
Depending on time, stay up there, or head back South a bit for Sunday night.

Get to Edinburgh on Monday and have one night there, before heading back to Nottingham on Tuesday.

Although I used to live in Glasgow it was a long time ago and I never made it further North than Inverness (Had to be there by 9am and don't recall leaving Glasgow at stupid hours).

Is this rough plan realistic?
Can anyone recommend roads I should definitely do within my route - but I don't have time for long diverts to a terrific B road.
And is anyone around -probably 19th to 20th November although TBC
Old 10-30-2007, 01:47 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by GarethB,Oct 30 2007, 09:42 PM
Can anyone recommend roads I should definitely do within my route - but I don't have time for long diverts to a terrific B road.
The A82 between Glencoe and Crianlarich
Old 10-30-2007, 02:25 PM

Don't go to John O'Groats - it's a dump by all accounts and you'll waste precious time on a rather dull A9 getting there from Inverness. Really - don't bother with it - you can get the T-shirt much less painfully on E-bay I'm sure.

Leave Glasgow early and head for Applecross via Glencoe as above, then Invergarry, Kyle of Lochalsh, Lochcarron, Bealach na ba. Leaving Applecross, you might get to Poolewe before dark if you crack on (and you will at this time of year).

Next day, head north along coast from Poolewe to Ullapool, then keep heading north up main coast road (A835, A837, A894, A838) to Durness, then along to Tongue, At Tomgue head south to Altnaharra then Lairg on A836. Then finish up at Inverness before dark. Inverness is only 3.5 hours from Edinburgh on the A9 - dull and busy, but you will have seen the best bit of the North West Highlands in the shortest possible time.

If you don't fanny about having lunch taking pics, chatting up burdz etc, you might get a bit further on each day, but don't be tempted to drive in remote parts (A9 OK mostly) at night - asking for deer trouble IMHO and IME .

If you have time on Monday, leave the A9 at Carrbridge south of Inverness, head for Grantown on Spey and then Tomintoul and Lecht and then Braemar, and back to Perth on the A93 - this will take a couple of hours more than the A9, but is a great road. Well worth doing.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

euan is the god of scottish roads, you will not go wrong with his recommendations.

EPS, as they say.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:41 PM

Thanks Euan, sounds like a good plan.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Euan's recommendations - I was going to mention Applecross and the Lecht (great roads) but he said them first. It's a shame you don't have time to include Skye on the trip.

I'm heading north at the weekend as well, but I won't get past Glasgow.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:01 PM

Only way to go to john o groats is by plane . 1 hr 1/2 from my house .

You could stop by mine and pick up a shiny exhaust too!

I'll do you a deal if you pick it up
Old 10-30-2007, 03:51 PM

Ooh, you and your wily Scottish ways. How much did you want for it again?
Old 10-30-2007, 04:46 PM

PM me a sensible offer and we can start there . It's in the shed waiting for you . I'll even make you a cup of tea! No matter where you go, you'll be going past my house eventually.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:00 PM

Weather could well be a bit manky though

Quick Reply: Scotland Road Trip