UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Searching For My First S

Old 11-10-2009, 03:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Searching For My First S

Hello to All.. My name is Ali, and I live in the London/Essex borders. Young family needs have lead me to owning an oil burning CRV for the past 2 yrs, which both my wife and I love. It gives us the load capacity we need, easy access when getting the toddler in and out of, and the high driving position gives my wife the confidence & visibility she needs in a car. Apart from the the A/C unit failing and the diff oil needing changing (all done by Honda UK, even though the car was out of Warranty), touch wood we have had great reliability from the CRV

I've been wanting a sportier drive for myself for a number of years now, and finally got the green light from my wife. I've been considering the S2 and the RX8. The RX had its obvious benefits i.e. the 2 extra seats, and even test drove one. I loved the drive, but have been put off by all the gremlins, and not having deep pockets I have settled with going with the S, telling myself that it would only be used as a 2nd car, and it was always what I really wanted, so why compromise when I have the opportunity.

Also finally got round to test driving one a couple of weeks back - It was a VSA car, and driven in the wet - it totally blew me away. Started making me think if I could handle a non-VSA car? But having read so much about the S on this forum, I'm convinced the S is the car for me.

So I've been scouring the classified for a few months now looking for the right car at the right price, thinking that prices should drop slightly in the winter, and over the past 6 months I don't think they have. My ideal car would be a 55/06 in silverstone/moonrock - black & red interior with less thank 30k on the clock, and all for a budget of £12k.... Realistic?

Anyway, I've seen an add on the autotrader for a 55 plate Moonrock, with 20k on the clock, 2 owners, FHSH last services at 18k in June 09, up for £12,995.00. Only problem is that the trader has no pics up yet, in is also located 143 miles away (Taunton, Somerset) / http://www.kingstonroadcarsales.co.uk/14120/krcs.htm

Also, when I spoke to the trader (Mike), he seemed half asleep, a little vague, and instilled no confidence in me for a trek to Somerset. The car would be sold with 3 mths part and labour warranty and is apparently in spotless condition - but as I say, something does not feel right.

Is there anyone on the forum who lives close by? Does anyone know of Kingston Road Car Sales in Taunton? Are they an established, reputable trader?

Any thoughts or advise would be appreciated
Old 11-10-2009, 04:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look through the ads in this forum as there are always a few and your budget / spec are within reach of each other.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=249683

Try a few local dealerships, and get some test drives. Piston Heads and autotrader usually have a big selection.

TBH from your location I wouldn't be looking to travel to Somerset because you'll find similar spec cars at many places in your region.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:07 AM

Have a look at a few members cars that are not for sale so you can familiarise yourself with where everything is when you come to view.

You don't want to turn up at a dealers and it be obvious that it's the first one you've looked at by the fact you don't know where the bonnet release is for example.

Ideally, take an owner with you when you come to view. Could save you from Shiny Car Syndrome....

If you're looking at dealers, a week or two before or after Christmas could bag you a good price as they are slow times for them.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:25 AM

NineBolts / GaryB. Thanks for your replies.
Would be great if I could find a car on the forum, and have been searching the For Sale list every day for a while, but no luck yet. Pistonheads, autotrader, ebay, gumtree too

Time is also so precious, and I really don't want to waist the valuable weekends going up and down the country when I could be spending time with my wife and daughter.

I've already had the shiny car syndrome once - on a similar car in the summer - the car was pristine, but only had 1 service stamp on a 55 plate with 18k on the clock. so decided against it, but boy was I tempted!!

Honda dealers in London seem to be over the market price, and by the 1 experience I have had with the Honda dealer car I test drove, they don't seem to be willing to budge on price.

But will keep looking, and will definitely ask forum members for an aided viewing if I find a potential buy. Thanks for the advise
Old 11-10-2009, 06:42 AM

Its definitely worth taking your time to find a good example. There are some good ones around.

BTW..who is Amy?
Old 11-10-2009, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by ALi_MS,Nov 10 2009, 01:25 PM

Honda dealers in London seem to be over the market price, and by the 1 experience I have had with the Honda dealer car I test drove, they don't seem to be willing to budge on price.
Not just London, south east in general methinks. My last 3 hondas have all come from north yorkshire. Ok so I have family there for place to stay/reason etc, but when I bought my CTR it was about 1500 cheaper than similar locally. The S2k about a grand.

It pays (or saves) to shop around and being prepared to travel can widen your net. But if your not getting a good feeling from somerset then continue looking elsewhere. I travelled to Exeter once to spend 2 mins looking at a heap of 5hite and driving back home. The person I had spoken too was also a bit vague.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:25 AM

Finding a well looked after example would be key, as I intend to keep the car for a while. Defiantly prepared to travel out of the capital to find the right one, private or trade, I'd expect the seller to be able to instil some confidence in me that a) the last/current owner has looked after the car b) it is worth travelling a couple of hundred miles for.

FistralG... I don't know any Amy should have read "May have found one"... Well spotted

Also wanted to share with you all that my first S drive experience. It was absolutely phenomenal!!! The last time I felt like this about driving a car was when I had a run on an airfield in a Ferrari 355 Can't wait to have have an S waiting on my driveway for me every night when I get back from work
Old 11-10-2009, 07:53 AM

Suggest you read the traders ad carefully. Cruise control? Parking sensors? metallic grey?
Not worth the trip IMHO.

Best place is to find a car on here if you can. Good luck with your search.

Moonrock with the red/ black interior is the way to go. But then I would say that I suppose.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by aldfort,Nov 10 2009, 04:53 PM
Suggest you read the traders ad carefully. Cruise control? Parking sensors? metallic grey?
Not worth the trip IMHO.

Best place is to find a car on here if you can. Good luck with your search.

Moonrock with the red/ black interior is the way to go. But then I would say that I suppose.
To be fair it says reverse parking aid... That could be the rear window!?
Not sure what the cruise control could be...I know some of the owners over the pond have it fitted to their cars.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:11 AM

It's also the most expensive car he has on his site and he's got no pictures and some sketchy details...

Quick Reply: Searching For My First S