UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Should I or shouldn't I...

Old 12-15-2010, 02:05 AM

Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Should I or shouldn't I...

I've had my S from new and its now 7 years old and 104,000 miles. However I am still impressed by the fact that I'm still running the original clutch. Its' had 3 airfield days too and quite a bit of round town driving.

Anyway, I have a little cash I've been putting aside for some work to my S - mainly cosmetic stuff. but been thinking it may be a good idea as a precuationary measure to get the clutch replaced before it fails. The last thing I want is for it to fail suddenly (as I had with a Cavalier I once owned), sods law it will be a Sunday night the middle of nowhere, miles from home.

What do others think.?

If I replace it is it best to stick to the OEM or are there alternatives ?

or should i just go ahead and spend the money on repairing the stone chips and getting my seat bolsters reupholstered.

Its not slipping at all at the moment, but from other threads it looks like most seem to go around the 70-80K mark....what am I doing wrong ??

I posted similar about this a year or so ago but as the mileage goes up, the more concerned I get.

I await your inevitably varied and always appreciated opinions....
Old 12-15-2010, 02:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if it aint broke.....
Old 12-15-2010, 02:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd keep the money for whenever the engine fails, and do the clutch then.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:53 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

You haven't changed your "05 engine" signature yet
Old 12-15-2010, 03:06 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

I had mine changed back in August at 99k miles, but only because it needed doing, but the rattling noise it was making meant that that there was plenty of warning.

Leave it until it warning signs appear. I went for OEM having heard quite a few horror stories about aftermarket clutches.

Brayley did me a reasonable deal on the replacement too.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:18 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Replace it when it needs replacing.....

and only buy OEM or equivalent, I'd stay away from up-rated clutches.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:58 AM

Mine is on 106k. But as it doesn't rattle (054 clutch as car is MY00) I have to assume the original owner had it changed under warranty in the first 3 yrs/50k miles.

FWIW, the Teg is still on it's original clutch, has done plenty of track work and has 130k. I'm expecting that to go soon.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:31 AM

Rob has started doing a stage 1 clutch which feels like OEM at a better than OEM price. I was thinking of getting mine done just to get rid of the dreaded clutch buzz. If yours isn't slipping and you can live with any noises it may have then leave it alone.

Clutch's tend not to just fail, they will gradually wear to a point when they can't be driven any more (although letting them get that far is not good for the flywheel) when it starts to slip, worry about it then...
Old 12-15-2010, 06:40 AM

Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts

Thanks all - seems a unanimous view so will keep as is for the moment but maybe keep a few quid back towards it when it does go. I'm expecting somewhere in the region of £1000 from what I've seem already on other threads.

When I had my Calvalier most of the clutch spring fingers (cant recall the correct technical name for them) sheered off and cause all sorts of expensive damage but I'm guessing thats an extreme event when that happens (and probably coz it was a Vauxhall and caused me nothing but grief anyway !).

Thanks again..
Old 12-15-2010, 08:27 AM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

My 02 had god awful buzzing noises on run down at around the 87k Mark (miles,
Not rpm!), I expected it to be completely bald and burnt out based on the sounds it was making....

But no; it had LOADS of material left on it, and I mean it wasn't even half worn, more like a third!

And I drive like a p e n i s!

The clutch ain't too bad to change on an S, certainly, I found it easier than some of the other FWD honda's I have changed em on.

Quick Reply: Should I or shouldn't I...