S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   UK & Ireland S2000 Community (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/)
-   -   Strange Days (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/strange-days-38044/)

Nick Graves 12-08-2001 04:52 PM

Strange Days

My research into the tyres' schitzophrenia reached a new level today.

On the A10, the volume of traffic had dried the surface. Although very cold, the surface meant that after 10 miles, the car could be Vtecced (new verb) with impunity. On the shadier B roads, where the roads were damp and the water still little above zero, the change of feel was amazing.

The front wheels signified that "oo-er, I'm not sure about this" syndrome, followed by a disconnected feeling when the rears followed track. At normal (ish) speeds off-Vtec, it wasn't a problem. As the roads winded onto higher moors, where the weak sun had dried the surface and warmed though the misty chill, one could again safely summon the 6K surge. As the landscape anticlined into shady dampness, one felt the need to relent as the car began its symptoms of insecurity.

I better understand that the car's alleged handling problems are directly related to the contrast between its warm/dry phenomenal grip and its very average cold/damp abilities. I am certain many junior supercars have tyres that are much more competent in the latter conditions.

If you interpret it, the car does subtly tell you when it's unhappy, and unhappy equals very snappy.

There is little more invigorating than a roofless drive though the countryside on a crisp winter's day. Just be aware that the tyres do have Seasonally Affected Disorder before going nuts.

Tonky 12-08-2001 05:11 PM

Good post Nick::)

I'm starting my 2nd Winter driving the S2000, and I think anyone who bought their car this year before the onset of winter, is going to find a drastic change in the handling in the cold and wet. Understanding the nature of the stock SO2's will go a long way to avoiding shunts this Winter!

AnDy_PaNdY 12-08-2001 11:56 PM

Good post Nick, you summed my feelings up very well indeed.
Treated with respect, this car can be enjoyed just as much throughout the winter.

Kobe 12-09-2001 12:09 AM

I'm not sure what we are expecting of the SO2's - to be GP slicks and also Country and Winter off roaders? I'm not one to defend Bridgstone - but what do we want?

If you include F1 as a supercar for tyre comparison - I think you often here drivers complaining in a similar when it is a cold weekend "could not get any heat into the tyres - no grip - track too cold"

I have not done any back to back comparison with the SO2's but I drove the other night on a mountain road for about 20Km's - probably about 3deg C max in dry conditions. - never got a "squeal" despite giving the rear tyres the good news with the right foot. After parking at the top of the mountain to admire the view - I got out and felt the tyres - they were still cold!! These are Yokohama DNA GPrix. In the summer time (35deg C) on the same road - the SO2's were like hot sticky glue!
So I would guess other tyres have similar issues in cold weather.

Frenchie 12-09-2001 12:11 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nick Graves
[B]The front wheels signified that "oo-er, I'm not sure about this" syndrome, followed by a disconnected feeling when the rears followed track. At normal (ish) speeds off-Vtec, it wasn't a problem. As the roads winded onto higher moors, where the weak sun had dried the surface and warmed though the misty chill, one could again safely summon the 6K surge. As the landscape anticlined into shady dampness, one felt the need to relent as the car began its

Nick Graves 12-09-2001 06:13 AM

I took a chance on "anticlined".

I seem to remember that sinclined is a bit of land that is U shaped upside down, and anticlined is U shaped the right way round. Sort of rolling hills and rolling valleys.

But it is a long time since I did any geography, so I'm really not too sure!

johnringham 12-09-2001 06:27 AM

Leaving a muddy car park (turning right onto a dry dual carriage way) after playing football, I managed a full loss of back end first to left and then right. I had next to no revs as I was being cautious!

Still the guys behind me thought I was doing it on purpose to show off so I guess the near soiled underwear was worth it! :) :D

Nick Graves 12-09-2001 06:52 AM

That's a bit exciting!

I guess Honda have decided not to equip the new CR-V with S-02s.

Frenchie 12-09-2001 07:06 AM

Originally posted by Nick Graves
I took a chance on "anticlined".

I seem to remember that sinclined is a bit of land that is U shaped upside down, and anticlined is U shaped the right way round. Sort of rolling hills and rolling valleys.

But it is a long time since I did any geography, so I'm really not too sure!

Only pulling your leg. :)

You're dead right with the nouns syncline and anticline. They are indeed U shaped folds in strata, syncline dipping like a U and anticline rising like an arch). Just never seen an equivalent adjective or verb before!

Pete