UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Thinking of leaving the pack

Old 01-04-2004, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of leaving the pack

Have recently been giving some thought to leaving the S2k pack and going to something a little bit more raw as it looks like a clio 172 may land on the drive very shortly and could be used as an everydayer.

Thinking about going for an inbetween of the S2000 and a caterham so am thinking VX turbo and then a trip to AMD to knock the power to weight ratio through the roof.

Was just wondering if I do, whether I should sell my S2000 in it's current state if somebody who wanted to tune it has got lots of things to start with or whether to sell standard and sell the parts on here. What price should I get either way ?

The car is as follows:

2000 W reg Silverstone metallic with red/black (UK car not import)
S200 plate
1 previous owner
11,300 miles
FHSH
hondacare warranty, taxed and Mot'd till May 04
Diamond brite finish
Recent new clutch under warranty from 054 - 055
6cd changer
New tyres (S02's) Sept 03

Other goodies that could be sold with / without if I do decide to change would be as follows:

Southern Counties performance geometry settings (obviously can't be removed for sale !)
Red painted brake calipers (As above)

Backyard Special Front Spoiler (as far as we know, the only one in the UK !)
Grilletech centre and side grilles
Spoon Sports carbon air duct
K&N filter
AUS leather centre console
Alpine audio interface for driver controls (obviously, the MP3 player would come with me)
Muz mats
Ricks full height windbreaker
MG racing (I think) camera mount
Old 01-04-2004, 10:47 AM

Blimey! Seems like you've only had it 5 minutes, Ryan!

The VXT seems to get really good reviews. If you get one, be sure to come back and let us know how you get on with it.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:00 AM

You must be nuts, you have only just joined!!

The S is not an expensive piece of exotica, but a flash piece of bog standard Japanese manufacturing. Drive the crap out of it, as an everyday runner. In the mean time save your pennies and look forward to getting a proper piece of machinery. Renault, Vauxhall, you gotta be kidding me!!!

Old 01-04-2004, 11:10 AM

Over 7 months is a long time for me Mark as cars go

This will be my final car for a long time as I will shortly be mortgaging myself up to the hilt so can't have anything that is not to mainstream as I won't be able to afford to spend loads maintaining and tuning. My plans would be car + remap and that would be it. As the VXt is a few groups lower then the S, I would also hope to get some money back from the insurance + servicing and fuel economy is about the same as the S.

Going back to the above, this is my way of also getting a 3 - 6 month old car and not having to pay an awful lot more for it. I would love a new 04 S2k also but at 26.5k and very strong residuals, I don't think I will get much under if any for
Old 01-04-2004, 11:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Mark Turner
Blimey! Seems like you've only had it 5 minutes, Ryan!

The VXT seems to get really good reviews. If you get one, be sure to come back and let us know how you get on with it.
It got 'Car' Mags Performance Car of the Year and something similar on Top Gear. By all acounts you can get seriously good deals on Brand New ones too as people want a Lotus Badge instead of a Vauxhall badge
Old 01-04-2004, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by supers2k
...it looks like a clio 172 may land on the drive very shortly and could be used as an everydayer.
Not a bad choice for an "everydayer". This was my previous car and how i miss the auto lights & wipers, climate control. Performance very respectable too.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:31 AM

Thanks guys for the comments. It is still in the very early stages of thought at the moment.

Like I did say, I could get use the clio on all of the horrible weather days and would probably use something like a VX approximately 3 - 4 times a week with an estimated annual mileage of about 6000 pa.

I noticed nobody fancies passing comment on a avlaue for my car either way with or without mods. Any ideas guys ?
Old 01-05-2004, 05:11 AM
GSi

Hi Supers2k... I don't know what more people can add other than the usual estimating tools such as Parkers (http://www.parkers.co.uk/) and the For Sale section here, which should have a good range of cars for sale.. However, I guess the introduction of the new 2004 Model will affect resale a little too. However, your mileage is a good point for a lot of people I expect.

That said, if you do sell I'd like to take the AUS Centre Console Cover off of your hands, so let me know if, when and how much.

As for your choice of cars - I had a few days with a Cliosport 172.. very capable and pretty nippy. I think a lot of people who haven't driven one would be surprised by the handling and corner speed. VX220 Turbo would be great too, but after 7 years of company car Vauxhall ownership I can't say I'd look forward to the servicing experiences.. however, I didn't have a major mechanical problem with either of my two Vauxhalls at 110,000 and 90,000 miles a piece.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:12 AM
GSi

oops...wrong button
Old 01-05-2004, 06:12 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by GSi However, I guess the introduction of the new 2004 Model will affect resale a little too.

Quick Reply: Thinking of leaving the pack