UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Tyre Pressures

Old 11-20-2001, 02:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This picks up from the "That Post Dealer Feeling" thread.

I checked my tyres with two different cheapo gauges and used two different garages over the weekend and found discrepancies between the 4 gauges of 6 lbs psi.

Result? - a poor ride and bad handling.

So, I just went to Halfords and paid
Old 11-20-2001, 02:37 AM

Bang on Pete, I learned this lesson after checking three garage airlines against each other one Sunday, some years ago. Still reeling from that, I borrowed everyone's cheapo guage that I knew... even worse.
The best investment you can make. On the subject of pressures, on my door sill it says 32 front 32 rear. I figure that Honda and Bridgestone had some input into that figure and it wasn't one they just plucked out of the air.
Old 11-20-2001, 02:45 AM

Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson
Bang on Pete, I learned this lesson after checking three garage airlines against each other one Sunday, some years ago. Still reeling from that, I borrowed everyone's cheapo guage that I knew... even worse.
Yep, it was your post on the other thread about accurate gauges that sent me out of the office and down to Halfords this morning. (Plus it was a good excuse to get out as I was feeling a bit fed up - marital / divorce / work hassle, nothing to do with the car)

Pete
Old 11-20-2001, 02:51 AM

I got divorced 19 years ago. It's character building to put it mildly.

I went from driving a Daimler Sovereign to a Fiat 126. Nobody I worked with at that time took the piss........................much!

Ah.. the fortunes of war!
Old 11-20-2001, 03:11 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PWE 896
[B]This picks up from the "That Post Dealer Feeling" thread.

I checked my tyres with two different cheapo gauges and used two different garages over the weekend and found discrepancies between the 4 gauges of 6 lbs psi.
Old 11-20-2001, 04:44 AM

Originally posted by UK Paul
What is the range of the indicator? If it can go to 160 psi it therefore could be +/- 1.6 psi (better I agree than petrol station garages though!)
It says +/-1% - 0.5 psi - resolution 0.5 psi - operating temp 0 - 100 F - range 5 to 99 psi

Seems good enough for S2000 tyre check purposes ?

Pete
Old 11-20-2001, 04:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

went from driving a Daimler Sovereign to a Fiat 126
Nowt wrong with a Fiat 126 (apart from its desire to become iron oxide asap) - Jean Alesi claims the 126 he owns is the 'most fun car in his garage' and the one he drives most
Old 11-20-2001, 05:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a little digital gauge - same kind of specs to Pete's guage. Not too expensive and certainly seems accurate enough. Intersting about the Sainsbury's gauge - I know forecourt gauages have a bad rep, but in my experience they are far more accurate than the POS gauges that come on cheapo pumps. I don't rely on them, but I've been pleasantly suprised.

I've also shocked at how often I see someone changing tire pressures at a motorway services. There's no way that they've left the tires long enough to get a cold pressure...

-Brian.
Old 11-20-2001, 05:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by bmarshall
I've also shocked at how often I see someone changing tire pressures at a motorway services. There's no way that they've left the tires long enough to get a cold pressure...

-Brian.
lol, sure must get some wierd readings!
Old 11-20-2001, 06:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PWE 896
[B]

It says +/-1% -

Quick Reply: Tyre Pressures