UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

why the hell do people.................

Old 02-25-2003, 01:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why the hell do people.................

choose to park right next to your car when the car park is virtually empty

I stop in at the supermarket and when I come back someone has parked right up to mine so it's difficult to get in but.............there are loads of spaces

just as well I wasn't in the S2000 and I wasn't too careful how I opened my door either, the tw@t deliberately parked so close as to make life difficult and in a car park for 100/200 cars there was at most 20 there so he/she could have parked more considerately
Old 02-25-2003, 01:54 AM

Zero, this is a vexed question which has been debated at length before. There was quite a heated thread about the rights and wrongs of parking across two spaces to prevent this, or even parking in mother-and-baby spaces.

My own preference is to park on the far side of the carpark across two spaces. I usually only shop when the carpark is at least half empty too, so I cant' be accused of hogging two spaces unnecessarily.

That said, I've done that and STILL come back to not only find someone parked next to me, but ALSO straddling two spaces and so just as close to my door as if I had parked normally anyway!!
Old 02-25-2003, 02:33 AM

I am anally retentive about how and where I will park the S. I sometimes take up two spaces if the car park is emptyish, but I can also normally be found circling a car park looking for "an end space" or a space next to a massive bollard, which I can get stupidly close to.

I have also found that I am reticent to visit any of my friends who dont have off street parking if I am driving - bad I know but I cant bear to leave the S on a main road like that.

R.
Old 02-25-2003, 02:46 AM

I always park next to a pillar but even then I get a muppet parking really close
Old 02-25-2003, 02:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I take things a stage further. I call the S an A-B-A car. Most cars take you from A-B. The S takes me from A-B - then back to A. The problem is, I never get out at B. Pretty pointless really.
Old 02-25-2003, 03:00 AM

I really take the P*** then
I park right on the end of the row and face down the central line, taking up about 6 spaces and i cant be blocked in
Old 02-25-2003, 03:10 AM

I also get this - one particular idiot in Burger King springs to mind immediately.
Whole car park empty, me parked in bay 7 of 8. Idiot chooses bay 8 - between my car and the wall.
WHY ?

I was advised to park next to another really nice (expensive) car if I have to - that way the owner is likely to be careful when openeing doors. Seems to work most of the time.
Old 02-25-2003, 03:26 AM

W6DAN has stumbled on the answer. Many people know the old "park next to a car that looks like it is cared for" trick to reduce the chance of damage to their own car. They drive in - see a lonely S2000 parked in splendid isolation away form all other cars, resplendent in the sparkle from a healthy layer of Zymol, and, clearly recognising a cared for car, park next to it. Simple.
Old 02-25-2003, 03:33 AM

Possibly, X. Or they could just be complete f*ckwits.....
Old 02-25-2003, 03:39 AM

Hmmm having said all this - If I am in a car park and I spot another S2000 I can help but park right next to it !!.

R.

Quick Reply: why the hell do people.................