S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   UK & Ireland S2000 Community (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/)
-   -   Winter Alloy Wheel Protection. (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/winter-alloy-wheel-protection-37210/)

Tonky 12-02-2001 05:34 AM

Winter Alloy Wheel Protection.

Anyone got any ideas or tips?

BabyNSX 12-02-2001 07:27 AM

why do you need any?

the alloy is designed to withstand most conditions, mine have survived 2 winters unscathed. Wash them every day if it gives you peace of mind. ;)

UKjasonm 12-02-2001 09:16 AM

Cleaned mine today and I'm sure there definatley something different happening to the wheels. Im not sure if this is weather or track day related as since my last track day my wheels seem to have started to get very stubborn stains on them. I cleaned them a few weeks ago and I had to resort to using Autoglym Tar remover to get rid of some of the stains, that did the trick perfectly and they were back in A1 condition, however on cleaning again today I notcied that these very stubborn stains have come back.

During the summer I could clean the wheels easily, a bit of elbow grease for the stuborn brake dust but now these dont go away with elbow grease and I have to resort to the chemical approach.

I've also noticed that the wheel seem to have a pitted appearance not on the outer but the inner of the wheel which seems to help the brake dust settle.

Id appreciate any advice but I'm also wondering whether this is just a seasonal thing and its the cold thats causing it.

Tonky 12-02-2001 10:25 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by UKjasonm
[B]Cleaned mine today and I'm sure there definatley something different happening to the wheels. Im not sure if this is weather or track day related as since my last track day my wheels seem to have started to

ianl 12-02-2001 11:49 AM

I cleaned my car today and exactly the same deal - very stubourn black fine streaks which look like they are coming from the inside surface of the wheel and 'bleeding' onto the inside edes of the spokes. What is going on? I would guess it is salt related but what is corroding / reacting to make the black tarry stuff?????

gdowsett-uk 12-02-2001 12:32 PM

I picked up some brake dust barrier spray from Halfords a while back and since using it all I use is shampoo and a sponge to clean the wheels . In theory it should also protect against all the other winter problems.

stevenleith 12-02-2001 12:33 PM

Originally posted by ianl
I cleaned my car today and exactly the same deal - very stubourn black fine streaks which look like they are coming from the inside surface of the wheel and 'bleeding' onto the inside edes of the spokes. What is going on? I would guess it is salt related but what is corroding / reacting to make the black tarry stuff?????
As some of you know i think, i just got a warranty claim excepted on two new alloys - the front two - is that where people are noticing the most marking?? I had a kinda of corrosion effect which was leading to "bubbling" on the leading edge........honda weren't quite so keen to replace all four as this has rarely had to be done (they still pursue a very "holistic" policy on warranty claims - i.e. if they know its been claimed before they'll let it go no questions) - but if the rears continue to deteriorate, they'll be getting another visit!

I might get new front tyres while i'm at it and save on the tracking, balancing, etc........:D

Meanwhile, i guess you keep scrubbing!!;)

CT: does that mean i'll be getting second generation fronts??

xviper 12-02-2001 12:43 PM

Hey Tonky, you folks probably don't get the "pitting" that our wheels get due to the salt they put on the roads here but I've heard that the brake dust that comes off all discs tend to cause minor damage as well. Years ago, once the wheels were washed and completely clean, I would polish them with the same stuff I polished the paint with. This made grime less likely to stick and what did stick came off easier. In N. Am. there are spray cans of cleaner that are designed for specific types of wheel material. Spray it on, rub the more stubborn bits and hose off & dry. Then "wax" them. I used to do this about once every couples of months. I don't now because I've gotten lazy in my crotchity old age.;)

Tonky 12-02-2001 12:48 PM

Originally posted by stevenleith

CT: does that mean i'll be getting second generation fronts??

I thinks so. I'm sure they brought out a modified wheel finish early on. I hesitate to say this but you could ask your dealer!!:rolleyes:

:D

Turtle 12-02-2001 12:58 PM

xviper: I'm afraid they are dumping tons of rock salt on the roads for the winter.

Cedric: I've noticed this as well. I cleaned the car quickly, this morning, and it certainly seemed harder to get them clean. I had a few very dark patches that took some work to get clean - still used a little sponge though. I'd done about 300 miles since cleaning, which is about normal for me, but they did seem a bit worse than usual. I'll see what they're next clean...

-Brian.

gdowsett-uk 12-02-2001 01:11 PM

I'm surprised they are only swapping two wheels. I'm sure that when they replaced my set that not all the wheels were showing the problem.

UKjasonm 12-02-2001 01:14 PM

Originally posted by ianl
Ian, thats exactly what I've experienced, almost like vains sprouting from the spoke edges and dam hard to get off with a sponge. The Autoglym Tar remover does get it off but I'd rather not use it too often because I dont know what its doing to the lacquer on the wheels

Tonky 12-02-2001 02:05 PM

I think the problem may be due to fact that if you feel around the back of the wheels they're just bare cast with no finish!! All the muck coming from the backs of the wheels is probably half the problem, as it's obviously a mixture of grime build up and brake dust. Any half decent set of after market wheels are always finished on the backs as well!:(

ianl 12-02-2001 11:27 PM

Steven - yes, you're right, it does seem to be just the fronts that are afflicted with the tarry streaks. There is no obvious sign of corrosion on the wheels at the moment - where did your bubbling start? If this is going to happen, I would like to spot the 1st signs whilst 'in warranty'

Now I come to think about it (with CT's prompting!) I had the same problem on my Prelude - I never realised it was seasonal tho' - those alloys started to bubble in the final year of my ownership (but the car was 5 yr's old by then and Honda (not totally unreasonably) did not want to know:(

Turtle 12-03-2001 12:36 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson
[B]I think the problem may be due to fact that

Kobe 12-03-2001 04:20 AM

Luckily my car only suffers from dust - somehow there is no mud where I live - everything is covered in concrete and steel - my car sees only daylight for 50 minutes per day - like a pit pony.

When I lived in Europe - I hated alloys exactly for the point CT was are making. Cleaned on a Sunday - mucked up on a Monday. I only ever got the tar marks off with one material - Wonder Wheels or something like that. It had a brush and you painted it on. It smelt like acid, then I checked the box - yes it was Hydrochloric acid or similar! It was really effective as long as you did it quickly and then washed the stuff off before it dissolved more than it was supposed to. The wheels looked brand spanking new. I used it on a set of Audi and then a set of Alfa ones without ill effect - but those were lease cars so I was less careful. Maybe on my own fully paid up S2K - I don't think so.

The JDM 6 Spoke BBS look very similar to the 5 spoke - you have to count the spokes to be sure - so I am not sure of the point. When I was down at the dealer sorting out my tyre problem - they had an early model with 6spoke on a ramp. Had a quick look and the wheels looked almost same condition and finish as the 5 spoke - so no big benefit. At about 1300quid for a set when ordering the car- saving a total of 8kg seemed a bit expensive, though I tried to squeeze them out of the dealer anyway. I am always annoyed how much the different OEM alloys cost - it's not like they are giving you a spare set of wheels and tyres. With aftermarket - you at least get to keep the ones you already got with the car.

Ross 12-03-2001 06:03 AM

Just cleaned my car and also discovered the same streak marks and slight pitting, not all of which would come off with elbow grease.
I haven't tried the tar remover yet - Does anybody know what damage it might do in the long term (against the damage being caused anyway)?

Ross

mikerich 12-03-2001 06:56 AM

FWIW

Having a spare 5 minutes just been doing some searches
Came up with this among other things
'Brake dust originates from the wearing of the brake pads. The binding agent which constitutes the brake pad compound creates an electrolytic action with alloy wheels and attaches itself to the wheel. If left on the wheel, pitting can occur, penetrating the finish of the wheel. Alloy wheels provide a striking appearance for a car, but neglect of cleaning this important visual component can lead to permanent deterioration of the wheel finish.'

This was at http://members.tripod.co.uk/clubsol_uk/mar...rk2/carcare.htm - which is all about cleaning your CRX

Found same statements elsewhere - tgether with recommendations not to use acid.

I always used to use white spirit for tar and mucky alloys

Sounds like you ought to go round the wheels pretty frequently -

Tonky 12-03-2001 12:23 PM

Yep, I don't think you can clean the wheels too often is the moral. Even id you haven't got time to do the whole car, do the wheels.

Most wheel cleaners are acidic and I don't like using them for that reason. Not having tar remover when I did mine yesterday I used engine cleaner. Quite effective at softening the black spotty deposits. Smells much like tar remover, I'm guessing it's petroleum based?

ianl 12-03-2001 11:55 PM

I'm guessing it's petroleum based
....and therefore not something you want your tyres to be in prolonged contact with......(I suspect this also goes for Hydrocloric acid:confused: )

Tifosi Red 12-05-2001 02:55 AM

My 2p on this... I did a mini-test of alloy cleaners a bit back, I've settled on the Porsche Tequipment one from Auto-Fanatics - truth be known it is made by P21s but comes in a lovely kit with lots of different shaped brushes to even clean behind the spokes and so on :cool: I like it because it it is extremely mild to the wheels (you can leave it on up to 4 hours) and having used Autoglyms "acid in a bottle" before now this makes me a little more relaxed :) I also tried the Zymol wheel cleaner, again very mild, no acids etc. but a bit less effective than the P21S stuff. You just spray it on, leave it a few minutes and the brake dust wipes off with a sponge - piece of cake.

I've got the Zymol wheel coat protective spray but IMO in only does the job for a couple of days, I've taken to using their wax products on the alloys now and this really leaves them very shiny and seems to stop dirt and dust bonding to the alloys too.

Tonky 12-05-2001 11:16 AM

Thanks for all the input. Next time I clean the car I'm going to get the wheels pristine and then try waxing them. It seems as good as any idea for protection so far.:)