UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Write Off - Normal Behaviour?

Old 08-11-2005, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Write Off - Normal Behaviour?

Hi everyone - we have progressed another step in the insurance nightmare !

After 8 weeks of faffing around, my cr*p insurance company losing the car, and the other drivers insurance company agreeing to take the case but taking weeks over it, they have eventually offered to write the car off.

The other drivers insurance company have made me an offer, but they have said that because I am not their client, they cannot take ownership of the car, which seems to mean:

Their valuation of the car pre-accident =
Old 08-11-2005, 01:36 AM

On the surface of it, it sounds like they're still trying to wriggle out of paying the 'proper' amount if you ask me..
Old 08-11-2005, 01:42 AM

Jo i dont know why u r dealing with the third parties insurance company. afaik It should be your insurance company writing the vehicle off and claiming the money of the 3rd parties insurance company as it wasnt your fault. you should get one cheque from ur insurnace company for ur car. this is what happened to me a few years back. this was in belfast but my insurance company was NU so dont see how it should be any different.

tell u what they have really dragged this out! tell them to get their heads outta their arses n sort it out!
Old 08-11-2005, 01:43 AM

Always reject the first and second offers, standard practice isn't it?

(I must admit to being a bit out of the loop with insurance, comany cars for the last 7 years, so this could be bull.....)
Old 08-11-2005, 01:44 AM

Tebs, believe me, you don't know the half of it!

NU were dealing with it (my insurer) but they were going ot take 3 weeks to move the car from their salvage yard, to the bodyshop for a quote, which would have cost the third party's insurer (AXA)
Old 08-11-2005, 01:46 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tebs,Aug 11 2005, 09:42 AM
Jo i dont know why u r dealing with the third parties insurance company. afaik It should be your insurance company writing the vehicle off and claiming the money of the 3rd parties insurance company as it wasnt your fault.
This is how I also believe that it should work.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:50 AM

Don't forget your GAP policy (if you have it) states you should contact them before accepting ANY offer from the insurance company. I guess it's so they know how much they may have to pay out.
Apologies if you already know this.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:51 AM

Ok, but it isn't, and I am not jeopardising the situation by trying to get the Indian call centre to deal with it again. After much discussion with the accident mgmt company, and a lot of consideration, the third party insurer are now dealing with it - this isn't something that can be changed. And tbh it is at least progressing, and is reaching (not wanting to jinx it) the hoped for conclusion.

So as it stands, does anybody know whether the third party insurer usually offers part-value plus a salvage offer, or whether something odd is going on?
Old 08-11-2005, 01:52 AM

Already contacting GAP, thanks
Old 08-11-2005, 01:54 AM

Ur kiddin. i hope i dont prang mine as ive got insurance through NU too. R u dealing with the call centres in india cos they r a ing joke.i was on the phone for 45 minutes the other day just to start my policy a day earlier! i cant understand them and they dont understand my accent either. i would try and contact their complaints department and have a right go at them. i dont know why we pay them insurance to get treated like this!

i also thought that they had to pay up within a period of 4 week or a month after the vehicle was first assessed. dont see why it took them so long to assess it in the first place and how the could they lose a car! get on the phone now and have a go at them. if u dont give me ur policy number and i`ll have go for you!

Quick Reply: Write Off - Normal Behaviour?