UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

yet another alignment issue

Old 03-02-2013, 03:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default yet another alignment issue

I spent the last week removing and greasing up the adjusters,the rear drivers side needed a secondhand arm as the bolts wouldnt come out ,so all done and today i went for the alignment doing but couldnt get the rear passenger side within spec.These are the minimum values it would go to. Anyone got any ideas what could be wrong,what to check etc

thanks twibs
Old 03-02-2013, 03:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bent subframe ?
Old 03-02-2013, 08:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone was saying in another thread on here that some of the suspension arms changed slightly through the years, maybe someone's fitted the wrong type arm?
Old 03-02-2013, 10:46 AM

Bent hub would be my guess. I had a similar issue. If you look closely at the bottom joint where the wishbone bolts up you may be able to see a difference compared to the other side.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:13 AM

cheers for the replies,got something to go at.
Don't want to be spending on bits that aren't required so will have a poke around to see what, if anything I can see.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by yorkies2k
Bent hub would be my guess. I had a similar issue. If you look closely at the bottom joint where the wishbone bolts up you may be able to see a difference compared to the other side.
just had a quick look and on the good side there is 5mm or so between the ball joint rubber and the hub, on the bad side the ball joint rubber is almost touching the hub. looks like the hub is bent.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by twibs
Originally Posted by yorkies2k' timestamp='1362253608' post='22375618
just had a quick look and on the good side there is 5mm or so between the ball joint rubber and the hub, on the bad side the ball joint rubber is almost touching the hub. looks like the hub is bent.
Sounds just like mine was.

There were some job lots on eBay, upper and lower wishbones and hub for about £120 from memory (integrastella). I'd swop the lot tbh bud just to be on the safe side as it can be difficult to tell by eye if they have bent slightly at all.

Something else to just check for is the tabs that go either side of the cam plates for the adjusting bolts, make sure they're still as they should be and not bent flat.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:49 AM

quick update,

thanks for the heads up but integrastella didnt have any hubs.
I managed to get a full set of parts to make up a corner elsewhere so set about fitting them last weekend but when it came to fitting the hub I found it was the wrong side
duly returned but the replacement one looks as bent as mine where the bottom track control arm mounts on

also the supplied track control arm isn't straight !!

so still looking for a decent passenger rear hub for a 2004 onwards and the track control arm if anyone can help ????

cheers
Old 03-13-2013, 08:16 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You could replace the hub at a good cost or do what I've done (Chris at Centre Gravity did as mine was 4mm out as I hit a kerb ). Remove the Rear Control Arm Camber Adjuster housing (bit of metal with flaps either side) it's not load baring it just houses the camber adjuster. Move over 2mm, couple of dabs of weld, clean up and rebuild. It's worked on mine and I've got plenty of camber.

Originally Posted by twibs
Originally Posted by yorkies2k' timestamp='1362253608' post='22375618
Old 03-20-2013, 12:18 PM

Thanks for the input,
I fitted a second hand hub along with a set of used top and bottom arms and now the alignment is spot on.

searched to find the following torque settings

top arm to body 132Nm 97Lb/Ft
top arm ball joint to hub 49Nm 36Lb/Ft
bottom arm ball joint to hub 70Nm 52Lb/Ft
bottom of rear shock to lower arm 64Nm 47b/Ft
bottom arm to body 58Nm 43Lb/Ft
rear hub nut 300Nm 220Lb/Ft

Is there a section somewhere that I couldnt find where they are all listed together ??
cheers

Quick Reply: yet another alignment issue