Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

Assistance with Purchase of s2k

Old 07-15-2014, 06:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Assistance with Purchase of s2k

This s2000 is for sale in Louisville. It looks very clean on the outside. I will try to get pictures of the inside and engine bay tomorrow. Do any of you know how reputable this dealer is? I am located in Texas, so if i want the car i pretty much have to buy it before i fly out. Any help is appreciated greatly.

Thanks,
Kyle
Old 07-15-2014, 06:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

First issue I see here is that they list this as a CR. This is clearly not a CR. However, I am surprised to see a dealer with a reasonable price on the car. For the year and mileage, it is actually ball park where it should be. Check EVERY panel for matching VINS and signs of any body repairs if you are going to spend this much on an S2000. ANY amount of damage that has been repaired, including minor paint touchups will quickly devalue the car. And you don't have to buy it once you get there. Would you rather buy the car simply because you traveled that far to go there and regret it the entire time you own it? Or would you rather fly out, find out it's not what you thought it was and eat the cost of 2 plane tickets? I personally flew out of state for my S2000. Fortunately for me, I drove the car home but I was fully prepared to buy another ticket home.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by F1_DNA
First issue I see here is that they list this as a CR. This is clearly not a CR. However, I am surprised to see a dealer with a reasonable price on the car. For the year and mileage, it is actually ball park where it should be. Check EVERY panel for matching VINS and signs of any body repairs if you are going to spend this much on an S2000. ANY amount of damage that has been repaired, including minor paint touchups will quickly devalue the car. And you don't have to buy it once you get there. Would you rather buy the car simply because you traveled that far to go there and regret it the entire time you own it? Or would you rather fly out, find out it's not what you thought it was and eat the cost of 2 plane tickets? I personally flew out of state for my S2000. Fortunately for me, I drove the car home but I was fully prepared to buy another ticket home.
thanks for the reply. i know i want pictures of all of the matching vins, but what else should i get them to send?
Old 07-16-2014, 04:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Anything they have. Service records, etc. The S2000 I bought came with a binder detailing every part and service, mileage done at and what it was for. I am the 3rd owner and both previous owners kept immaculate records. That was a big selling point for me. If something attracted you to this very car, I say fly out there expecting to fly home. If you happen to drive it back instead, even better. If you are not willing to take that risk on THIS car, then perhaps you should keep looking for one that is either closer to you are that you feel is worth taking the risk to travel for. Personally, I would rather deal with an individual. I spoke to the prvious owner on the phone several times, asked many questions and really got a good feel for the type of owner he was. With a dealer, you don't really have that option unless you can somehow contact the previous owner. If so, this may be the ideal situation as they have no reason to lie to you or hide things since the car is no longer in their posession.