Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

help!

Old 09-13-2009, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help!

Hi. I am an AP1 S2000 owner living in West Lafayette. It's been about a year since I bought the car and I've had this idle problem for a long time. I didnt really have money/time to fix this issue so I just drove with it, but I finally decided to fix this problem.

Basically, my car would idle up and down @ low rpm. When I first bought the car, it only happened once in a while so I thought it was a dirty Idle air control valve. So I cleaned out the valve a couple of times and it went away. But starting about 2 months ago, cleaning won't do anything. The car jerks as it idles up and down the low rpm range.

Right now, I am thinking about buying a new Idle air control valve. But before I spend $130, I thought maybe I can get someone with S2000 who would swap the idle air control valve with me for maybe a day or so. This way I would know if this really is the problem.

I am going to bleed out the coolant system as my last option before I replace this part. But are there anyone near the West Lafayette area with S2000 who would swap the part with me for a few days?

Any help, insights, and suggestions are welcomed!

-Kay
Old 09-13-2009, 10:08 AM

Isn't this a MAP sensor issue?

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...dpost&p=3278186
Quote from this thread...
"My car has done that, and I suspect it's normal. The ECU "learns" what the idle parameters are needed for the environment and engine conditions. If those conditions change dramatically, the ECU may have wrong "guesses" as to what to feed the engine to attain correct idle behavior. The good news is that the ECU "learns" and should adjust. If this shuddering is consistent (doesn't go away after a few stops), then there might be a more fundamental problem.

I've noticed this most when I've driven a number of short trips on cold days (where the engine didn't get a chance to fully warm up), then did a longer drive on a freeway on a warm day (not much idling there), followed by a few stop lights. In that case, I'd expect the ECU to adjust to the higher cold-engine idle RPM settings, the engine then heated up on the long drive, and the cold-engine idle settings it'd learned didn't map well to the lower warm-engine RPM settings. However, the ECU figured it out within two to three stops for me each time."

https://www.s2ki.com/search/forums?query=idle+problem

Just look through that search que...
Old 09-13-2009, 10:22 AM

MAP issue. Follow this guide. MAP whack DIY
Old 09-13-2009, 05:16 PM

hmm i've already tried map whack many times but it would not solve the issue....do i have to replace the map sensor? i know that honda does not sell map sensor by itself.....modifying a generic map sensor would be a little bit complicated.. hmmm anyone with IACV who can help me...?
Old 09-13-2009, 06:44 PM

You should post in the Want to Buy. I'm sure there are plenty of guys parting out S2Ks and you could get it cheaper than 130.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:29 PM

i just really hope that its the iacv problem. even if its used, its still $50 +
has anyone had this kind of problem who knows the answer to this? i know that there are a lot of variables...hmm
Old 09-14-2009, 10:52 PM

did you bleed the coolant system yet?

It could easily be that, cause if the last owner just filled the coolant and never bled it then it would do this. S2000 coolant system is tricky when it comes to bleeding it. Takes forever for the fans to come on too.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:27 AM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I had an IAC problem with my car a few years ago, it sounds EXACTLY like what you're experiencing. I cleaned mine out and it took care of the problem for about a month and then it came back; cleaning wouldn't help at that point. I found the cheapest price for a new IAC valve from King Motorsports in Milwaukee (how often does that happen?)-- think I paid about a buck-ten for it. Be happy to swap mine out with you to see if that does indeed solve the problem.

Cheers
Charlie
Old 09-15-2009, 07:16 AM

oh! that would be great chazzguitar. where are you located?
Old 09-15-2009, 07:49 AM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey man, I'm in Milwaukee. Pretty simple swap-- would only take a few minutes.

Quick Reply: help!