Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

Job Ideas...

Old 04-23-2005, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Job Ideas...

Need to make some investments in my s2k soon

Time to get off my ass and start working a little, but I am out of ideas for a job (I really don't feel like doing the retail thing anymore though!)

I'm @ DePaul right now... thinking about majoring in advertising/marketing or business administration... still confused about what I want to do (I have the summer to figure it out)

anyone have any ideas??? advice appreciated

I was thinking about day trading or maybe presonal trainer /
Old 04-23-2005, 03:08 PM

DePaul? hahaha good luck man.. that place is so far from reality...
Old 04-23-2005, 04:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by evilbeatfarmer,Apr 23 2005, 03:08 PM
What?
Old 04-23-2005, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Luke530,Apr 23 2005, 02:22 PM
Need to make some investments in my s2k soon

Time to get off my ass and start working a little, but I am out of ideas for a job (I really don't feel like doing the retail thing anymore though!)

I'm @ DePaul right now... thinking about majoring in advertising/marketing or business administration... still confused about what I want to do (I have the summer to figure it out)

anyone have any ideas??? advice appreciated

You need to consider what you are good doing, and what you like doing, and as soon as you find something that matches both criterias, that's it!
Old 04-23-2005, 04:08 PM

shouldn't you be trying to pursue something in the field you are already studying ?

If I had to do it all over again, I would study to be a CPA. There will always be taxes and a large tax code in our lifetime.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by evilbeatfarmer,Apr 23 2005, 05:08 PM
??? ???

anyways - i'm still a freshman - I have a little time (that' why I said i'll get that figured out this summer - but side cash is what i'm mainly talking about)
Old 04-24-2005, 06:18 AM

I am a CPA, worked in public accounting for 10 years and am not sure I want to go back to that life. 80 hour weeks from December to April, followed by 60 hour weeks in the off season sucked.

Taxes are only a small, very low margin end of the business. For the most part tax prep is an accomodation. It'd be like having a speed shop do your oil change. Planning and consulting is where the money is at.

I work in the consulting arm of an IT centric business now, but am considering going back to public accounting in a SOX capacity - people are willing to pay a premium for that.

A bunch of congressional nephews must have been in school for accounting a few years ago, just like the nephews of the 90s were in IT-prep programs....
Old 04-25-2005, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by IBMcpa,Apr 24 2005, 06:18 AM
I work in the consulting arm of an IT centric business now, but am considering going back to public accounting in a SOX capacity - people are willing to pay a premium for that.
OMG We are going through our first SOX compliance right now!! thousands of logged hours so far and still counting!!

This (Sarbanes Oxley Compliance = SOX) is where the future is if you want to make some big $$$$. But along with that comes several very long, time sensitive projects. Be willing to work lots of O.T.

As for jobs to think about?

Airline Pilot - Minimal hours worked per month and great money. If I could do it all over again I'd be some sort of pilot.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Luke530,Apr 23 2005, 05:22 PM
Just becoming a day-trader is pretty tough to do, you really need to know what you're doing and have a lot of on-hand cash just to get started. Be prepared to loose a lot too. If you think you can become a personal trainer and have a place to practice, do it. Hell, go be a car valet, that could be fairly fun at times and it seems like most restaurants in Chicago offer the service.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:40 AM

All in all, do what you want to do. No one is going to persuade you to do otherwise. It is your life and you should live it the way you want it. As for support, you'll get alot of that here but remember, only you get to work for yourself. Make your decision wisely and last but not least, lotta cash=lotta work. If you wanna play, be ready for some heavy work. Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Job Ideas...