Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

MN Autocross

Old 06-16-2009, 10:15 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts
Default MN Autocross

I am not a dedicated autocrosser and probably a horsecrap driver, but it sounds like fun and I would like to try it out.

Anybody have advice, tips, links etc?

I thought they used to hold them at Cantebury but dunno now.

Gotta try out the new SC on a fun little course before I try track time.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are 2 at the end of the season at Canterbury.

Go to myautoevents.com and search "MAC" or "Mowog"

or

http://www.mnautox.com/forums/showthread.p...t=2009+schedule
Old 06-16-2009, 10:38 AM

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Not familiar with autox events in MN but check scca's web site for you region as well as myautoevents.com and motorsportreg.com to see what local clubs use those sites for their registration.

Let me know what you find out and I can start adding those events to the UMW autox/track calendar.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by patinum,Jun 16 2009, 02:38 PM
Not familiar with autox events in MN but check scca's web site for you region...
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but to my understanding there is no immediate scca region in the Twin Cities. The most local events are put on by MAC (Minnesota Autosports Club). Their website is what I listed above.

There are some more events out in WI if you need to fill out the slow times in your event calender... but as a beginner, I'd recommend just giving some of the local events a try.

Hit me up and say hi if you do
Old 06-16-2009, 11:18 AM

Oh and for advice regarding autox here in the twin cities...

-They open a month ahead of time on myautoevents, and can fill fast, so register right away
-make sure your battery tie-down is tight, lugnuts are torqued, floormats are out, and tires arnt low on air. Also give your fluids (esp oil and brake fluid) a check ahead of time)
-Dont worry about being "lightweight" at your first few events, so probably best to fill up the tank with gas.
-Bring a helmet if you have one, otherwise there's loaners.
-Ask for an instructor on you first run (we try to mandate this to minimize getting lost on course when new)
-have fun and ask anyone a question if you have one. We're all friendly!

Edit: Oh yea!!! and an enjoyable day can be highly dependent on having enough water, food, sunscreen, rain gear, and comfortable shoes to run in (when shagging cones).
Old 06-17-2009, 03:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I
Old 06-17-2009, 06:41 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

[QUOTE=tangerine151,Jun 17 2009, 05:28 AM] I
Old 06-17-2009, 07:02 AM

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Again, not sure about MN but I've never been to an autox where you have to go through a class. It's helpful for beginners, but plenty of people start of just by going to an autox. At an autox I was at last weekend, they asked how many people were new to autox and about 10 people (out of 80) raised there hands.

My suggestion based on my experiences autoxing in chicago - find a friend or someone on s2ki with autox experience to take you. Having an experienced driver with you will help in the morning. They can guide you on emptying your car and going through tech, walking the course, registration, grid, etc. Also being able to ride with someone that has the same car as you is incredibly helpful.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:21 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

PM'ing....
Old 06-17-2009, 08:23 AM

You can just sign up for an autocross as your first event here... thats fine.

Again, the only thing we try to mandate, which is new this year, is that you say its your first event at registration and tech. You will get a little green piece of tap on the corner of your windshield to let the instructors know and one of them will get in to help during your first run. We run big events (170 cars at some) that need to flow well, and minimizing reruns is helpful. The instructor will help you thru your first run, which can be confusing looking into sea of cones.

The whole layout of tech, griding, run order, work rotations, etc can be confusing. Again ask questions a lot. we all like to help. Anyone from here going to a local twin cities event, PM me and we can chat that day in the morning and grid close to each other so I can lend a hand with whatever. I'm more than happy to help. If you want to even cruise to the event together we can meet up somewhere early in the morn.

Also if you miss registering for an event, sign up for the club website and watch the classified closely. there's usually a handful of spots that go up for sale from people who cant make it.

Quick Reply: MN Autocross