Utah S2000 Owners S2000 Owners from Utah

Bryce Canyon Tips Requested

Old 09-19-2003, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bryce Canyon Tips Requested

We are planning a visit to Bryce Canyon next month(~10/15), and would appreciate any tips or recommendation from the locals on places to stay, restaurants to try, and of course, the roads to drive. This is going to be the our 4th and probably the last road trip for this year, so we want to make it as enjoyable as possible. TIA.

In case you are interested, my previous 3 road trip logs can be found in the following threads:

2003 Trip #3: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...threadid=143672

2003 Trip #2: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...threadid=107972

2003 Trip #1: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...threadid=104237
Old 09-27-2003, 06:35 AM

I just got back from there. There are places to stay right in the park. I think there is a Best Western, resturaunt, store and gas there. I would book early. Check out a AAA book if you have it or go to AAA online. It's an awesome park. There are many views of the canyon. You have to drive all the way to the top and then start back down and check out each perspective of the canyon. Be sure to bring plenty of film or a good digital to capture the coloring. I would make sure and bring all my provisions with me because the park store isn't cheap and there isn't much for miles around. If I remember right, one of the hiways is close to the Anasazi or Anastazi Indian grounds. I didn't take it. Wish I would have in order to see the buttes. I've seen pictures and it looks beautiful. I was in Bryce canyon in July and it was hot. I imagine it is beautiful now. Take binoculars. There are eagles nests up there. If you have a zoom, take that too. A good video camera with a tripod too. I'm actually thinking of moving to Utah because I did fall in love with the natural beauty and magic of the state.
Have a great trip and post some pics. I'm in the Vintage Forum. You have posted in there recently and we all would love to see your pics. Thanks and have a great trip! Takin the S2000? What a drive that would be!

Oh another tip. I would go ahead and buy the National parks yearly pass for $50. Best deal at $20 bucks a pop. There are 5 National parks in Utah. Most than any other state. Zion park is way too cool. You have to check this place out. It is majestic! I liked it better than Bryce. Campgrounds, rivers to swim in, waterfalls, mountain lions, turkeys, dear, elk, coyote, eagles, and be careful where you walk. Rattle snakes. Go there also if you can. Kabab or something like that is a nice little town. Lots of history of movie making. Filmed Planet of the Apes there. There is a best western hotel there. I forget the name but it is a bunch of little cottages where all the movie stars stayed while filming. We stayed in the Fess Parker (Daniel Boon) cottage which is right next to the John Wayne cottage which has a whirlpool tub. Get that one if you can. There are tons of places to eat there and a restaurant right there at the hotel.
Have fun! We did.
Old 09-28-2003, 11:52 PM

jrfblueeyes, Thanks for the info. Yes, we plan to take the S2000. We actually visited the Zion last year, but since it is on the way to Bryce, we still plan to make a short stop there. Per your recommendation, I'll be taking my Nikon SLR w/telephoto in addition to digital camera. After the trip, I'll definitely post the picture in the Vintage forum

BTW, I am some what surprised that the only response I got from this post in the Utah forum was from a fellow Californian
Old 09-29-2003, 01:32 PM

RedondoS2k -

We actually made a trek through Bryce on our way back from the Grand Canyon last summer (2002). Can't remember specifics other than the whole park was breathtaking! Jrfblueeyes is right - bring LOTS of film as the views are too numerous to count!
The Bryce Canyon Lodge also has a restaurant - the food there was great. No sure about the accommodations there, but the parts of the lodge we saw were very rustic and historic looking. Would guess a stay there would be great considering the views!

We actually checked out their website prior to traveling there; might be of some help to you. Hope you have a great trip!

The Mendii
Old 09-29-2003, 01:55 PM

Mendii,

Unfortunately, Bryce Canyon Lodge is all booked for the week we are visiting but we will definitely try the restaurant Thanks for the info!