S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Utah S2000 Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/utah-s2000-owners-29/)
-   -   Considering a move to SLC! (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/utah-s2000-owners-29/considering-move-slc-456284/)

CourageOO7 01-23-2007 07:38 PM

Considering a move to SLC!

Hey guys, I'm a 28 year old Maryland (DC area) native considering a move to Salt Lake City to study in the JD/MBA program at the University of Utah. I've researched cost of living, housing, and various other statistics/demographics at www.city-data.com. However, there are questions that site can't answer.

1. I am not Mormon, but I enjoyed my previous stay in the city so much that I'm considering a permanent relocation. Are people and businesses welcoming to non-Mormon's?

2. I am concerned that I won't be able to find a job because of some ugly rumors I've heard out my way. I work in finance and I'm considering corporate law. I'd like to hear it from the horses mouth, so-to-speak. (I have a buddy who works at IBM who says the SLC branch discourages non-Mormons from relocating there)

3. While violent crime seems low, theft seems to be higher as compared similar cities around the country. Has this been the case for you?

4. How would I go about researching major companies in the city?

Thanks for any and all help you can provide. Should I be accepted to the program I will be flying out for a few days just to get a feel for the school and SLC life in general.

:hello:
Jorge

msm_s2k 01-23-2007 08:16 PM

Hi Jorge! Already gave you my take ... so I'll let others chime in.

You may also want to visit:
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthr...88958&page=614
http://forums.utahscca.com/

... and ask the same question there. Those forums are more active than this one.

CourageOO7 01-23-2007 08:51 PM

Mike,

Thanks. I'll take a look. Can you offer any input on my questions above?
Anyone else care to chime?

Thanks,

J

Euclid 01-24-2007 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by CourageOO7,Jan 23 2007, 09:38 PM
Hey guys, I'm a 28 year old Maryland (DC area) native considering a move to Salt Lake City to study in the JD/MBA program at the University of Utah. I've researched cost of living, housing, and various other statistics/demographics at www.city-data.com. However, there are questions that site can't answer.

1. I am not Mormon, but I enjoyed my previous stay in the city so much that I'm considering a permanent relocation. Are people and businesses welcoming to non-Mormon's? I'm not mormon (well, i guess technically i am). I've never had issues with not being welcome.

2. I am concerned that I won't be able to find a job because of some ugly rumors I've heard out my way. I work in finance and I'm considering corporate law. I'd like to hear it from the horses mouth, so-to-speak. (I have a buddy who works at IBM who says the SLC branch discourages non-Mormons from relocating there) I'm not aware of such things. I guess I could see this happening if it's a small company with a mormon owner, but any decent sized company shouldn't be a problem

3. While violent crime seems low, theft seems to be higher as compared similar cities around the country. Has this been the case for you? This really depends on your location in Salt Lake. I live in a pretty nice part of town, and have never had problems with crime. There are parts of town (tends to be on the west side) that are more prone to crime.

4. How would I go about researching major companies in the city?I'm useless to you here.

Thanks for any and all help you can provide. Should I be accepted to the program I will be flying out for a few days just to get a feel for the school and SLC life in general.

:hello:
Jorge

:)

CourageOO7 01-24-2007 10:06 AM

Thanks for the response! I'll keep away from the west side of town (probably still better than most of what DC has to offer). Anyone else care to chime in?

By the way, what do you think of Sandy, Utah? I stayed there with some friends when I was last out there.

Thanks!

J

KeithM 01-25-2007 11:52 AM

Heres my .02....

1. There are plenty of NON mormons here so dont feel like this is some crazy cult state that only welcomes people of the mormon religion. Certain parts of SLC have more than others (aka. the west side) but dont worry about being alienated or anything like that.

2. I have heard from a few people recently that finding a job here in UT is easier than it has been in a great while. I know my company has more job postings up than I have ever seen. I think your Non-mormon comment would really only apply to a smaller size company that may be mainly mormons. IMO, larger companies would prefer you arent mormon and/or a UT local. UT Mormons tend to want to stay in UT and have a family and just make their money then go home. (again just my opinion developed from personal experience)

3. Yes crime is low and yes theft is high. It is what it is so all you can do is deal with it as best you can. Move to a safer area and keep the car locked in the garage at night. Car theft here is pretty big. If you stay away from the dance clubs and park in a lighted area, you should be fine. I have never had my car broken into in the 14 yrs I have been here (knock on wood...)

4. Im with everyone else on this one. No idea where you would find that sort of info.

Good luck with your decision and despite all the Utah stereotypes, the summertime here is as good as it gets, the snow is the best in the country, and there are plenty of places to get a decent drink.

msm_s2k 01-25-2007 12:10 PM

I like Utah so much ... I live here and commute to the bay area for work; even though I grew up in Santa Clara, CA.

Graduate school is an excellent place to start. It will give you some time to get familiar with the city, local companies and of course what crime is like. We've lived here since 1991 and haven't had any issues. I also lived in NYC, New Jersey, Kansas and only ever had one issue. Car was broken into in NYC when parked on the street. Just lost a few tapes.

Sandy is a bit south. Housing cost is lower out there, but my choice if I were moving here ... especially for school at the UofU, would be to live up in SLC closer to school and civilization. Sandy is more homegenous (white, mormon and families) that SLC and other areas more north.

Let us know if you come out for interviews and we can all get together. We need a good excuse.

Euclid 01-25-2007 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by msm_s2k,Jan 25 2007, 02:10 PM
Sandy is a bit south. Housing cost is lower out there, but my choice if I were moving here ... especially for school at the UofU, would be to live up in SLC closer to school and civilization. Sandy is more homegenous (white, mormon and families) that SLC and other areas more north.

Let us know if you come out for interviews and we can all get together. We need a good excuse.

The Sugar house area is a great area to live, though the houses can be on the small side there. It's a very yuppie place to be. The Holladay area is also a great place to live. It also happens to be where I live. I'm 30 seconds from the freeway, and 10 minutes from downtown, or pretty much anywhere else in the valley. If you want a new house you're pretty much going to have to go to the south west corner of the valley to the South Jordan/Herriman/Draper area (check google maps). That's where most of the new housing is going up. You'll likely get more house for your money out there than you will in the areas mentioned earlier, but these places are a good 10-15 minutes from the freeway, and having some family out there I can tell you it's family central out there. If you have kids that can be a good thing, but if you don't want a bazillion kids everywhere I'd say stay away from those areas.

MSM is pretty accurate about Sandy. It's a really nice place, but very monotone in diversity.

I've lived here most of my life (i'm 28), and you really can't beat the location. We're 20 minutes from 7 ski resorts for winter fun, and hiking/biking in the summer. Not to mention the canyon roads are fun to drive on. A 4 hour drive south will get you to some of the most beautiful scenery you'll ever see.

spidale5 01-25-2007 03:44 PM

I moved from Chicago and I do not really like it here. I've been here for 3 years now and have never really felt at home. I've lived in both Layton and Ogden, two cities north of Salt Lake. Layton was way too slow and pretty boring, Ogden has more of a city feel, but still not too great. Salt Lake is better, but in my opinion still just a big suburb if you are used to a bigger city, not much city feel there either.

It is a very cheap place to live and save money though!

Just my $.02, sorry guys!

msm_s2k 01-25-2007 04:09 PM

Spidale ... sorry to hear you don't like it here. Ogden and Layton ... if I lived there; I probably wouldn't like it either.