Vancouver BC S2000 Owners Meet fellow owners in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

Too much engine oil, problems?

Old 07-14-2003, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too much engine oil, problems?

When I brought my parent's car in for a oil change today, they over filled it. It was past the second hole by about half a finger nail. The guy said that it doesn't matter, and logically I believe that too. Just wanted some opinions from you guys.

Awaiting a couple of pennies.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:40 PM

I have been told this increases the pressure of the oil and is not good for your engine.
Old 07-15-2003, 05:48 AM

Too much engine oil isn't a good thing. Yes I do think oil pressure will be too high. And do u see any weird smoke coming out from your exhaust?
Old 07-15-2003, 07:37 AM

You should not run with too much oil. Oil pressure should not change because the pump is unaffected.

It is not good for the engine to be overfilled with oil. There will be alot more resistance because the crank and rods will be immersed in oil. As the crank turns and the rods hit the oil, the oil will not splash correctly. It may result in too much frothing of the oil. The extra aggitation may interfere with cooling of the oil. The extra oil should be drained out. You may notice an increased engine operating temp. and a loss in power. That's not good that the mechanic sent you off like that with too much oil in the car. He's being slack.

Darwin
Old 07-15-2003, 10:22 AM

Awww damn, exactly what I didn't want to hear. It is not THAT much more, but it is slightly over the second dot on the dip stick. Problem is how do I drain just a bit?
Old 07-15-2003, 11:05 AM

It was past the second hole by about half a finger nail.
Depends on who's fingernail?

To drain a little oil at a time, try removing the oil filter and putting it back. Run the car, then repeat.
I think that would work.
Note: This method is controversial though. People aregue the filter won't seal properly again after the filter has been used and removed, so if you're going to lose sleep because of that, don't fo it. It's like how some people think it's neccesary to change out the washers from the drain/fill bolts every time you change oil, and some people don't. It's up to you.

The safest way is to just drain the oil from underneath, but it gets really messy.

Good luck.

Old 07-15-2003, 01:15 PM

Take it back to the guys that did and tell them to do it. Fix what they messed up.

OR

Jack up the car. Put it on stands. Crawl under. Put a pan under the drain plug and also make sure the pan is wide enough (10-12" openning). When you remove the drain plug, a stream of oil will pour out and it may make a arc about 6-12" depending on how far down the catch pan is. Oil on the ground sucks. What a mess. Only way to clean it up is degreaser and there will still be a stain on bare concrete. Loosen off the drain plug with a wrench or socket wrench and socket until it's quite loose but not completely off. Best to use vinyl or latex gloves (oil will eat rubber) over your hands. Using your fingers with constant mild back pressure on the drain plug to affect the best seal possible. Loosen off entirely the drain plug. Open a slight opening to allow a small quantity of oil to drain out and quickly thread back in the drain plug. Half a thumb nail over I'd try to take out 1 L.

This method is messy. There is a high chance that you'll get oil down your arm and possibly on your shirt from the oil coming out of the drain plug openning and the oil that may have spilled on the ground from being under the car. It's not going to be accurate so best to drain out slightly more oil than you think you need to remove so you don't have to do it again, hence 1L. You'll need some more oil to put back in since you'll be low on oil now. You can use some of the drained oil but it's messy. Best do this when the car pretty cold becasue hot oil burns like $h!t.

Get those guys who changed the oil for you to do it!

Darwin
Old 07-15-2003, 04:44 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by christy
[B]You should not run with too much oil. Oil pressure should not change because the pump is unaffected.
Old 07-15-2003, 05:22 PM

Thanks for all your feedback!
Old 07-15-2003, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by spoonek4

I know it sure is a pain in the ass when u over filled engine/tranny oil. Or having oil spilled on the floor. Especially when your boss is watching u(dry mouth situation!). Doing work like changing oil for your own car is great. Just gotta be well prepared, especially when u're at home that u don't want to have oil stain here & there.
Glad we can't really overfill our trannies except if we know how to.

Quick Reply: Too much engine oil, problems?