Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ordered sp1 from SOS/tirerack and...

Old 02-12-2005, 05:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ordered sp1 from SOS/tirerack and...

they look like they're gonna rub. i ordered a set that is 17x8 49+ and 17x9 55+ with 225r and 255r avs tires...Seth @ Science of Speed told me that it will NOT rub with the drop that i have (tucked) and he confirmed so with the wholesaler dept. at TireRack (forgot his name, brian maybe?) who also happens to own an s2k...supposedly they test fitted the same size/style previously on the same car with a drop and it didn't rub...

has anyone experienced with returning/replacement set in this case? I need the car to be tucked and well...i think it'll rub.

ATTN: TireRack, should i post some pictures before i test drive so the tires stay 100% brand new or do you recommend I test drive it and would you guys still be able to back me up?
Old 02-12-2005, 05:19 AM

btw, their mounting, fitting etc. is top notch...i had my $3000 rims scratched up by a local TiresPlus while mounting, but these from TireRack are excellent...only a few minors here and there that aren't visible, but from 2 feet away...so thumbs up to them for that...
Old 02-12-2005, 07:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would say they are going to rub. I would only go to 245/40R17 in the rear. I would also roll the fender lip and run more negative camber. This is a very aggressive fitment.
As long as they are not driven on we will take them back. If you drive on them we can't take them back. The SP1 fitment is the JDM fitment and that is the look. They have a big lip but you have to stay narrow on the tire.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:11 PM

jim, they are not driven on at this point because i don't have an exhaust... how much loss should i expect by running negative camber? i love the setup and i'm considering about rolling the fenders if it'll resolve the problem any...

however, if i do end up having to return this to you, who is liable for the s/h back to you guys? evidently i was misinformed, and i believe that non of the fees should apply to me...thanks for the reply...
Old 02-12-2005, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the SSR Comps in the same sizes but a 245/40 tire in the rear. With a 1.5" drop and -1 camber in the front and -2 in the back I only occasionally rub the fronts in bumpy corners. How much are you droped?
Old 02-15-2005, 06:25 AM

i have exactly 1 finger gap all the way around, but i wanted to go lower and without negative camber...why buy brand new and get something that won't fit properly? welll...yeah it fits the stock height perfect, but i specifically mentioned that my car was low low low and that i plan on being this low low low.

i'm going to roll the fenders anyways and see if that does it...if not, all the blaming goes to sos/tirerack let's just hope that rolling fenders would resolve this...
Old 02-15-2005, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BBS LMs in 18" run 18x9.5 for the rear w/ a +55 offset. Many members run that and either don't rub, or only rub slightly in certain situations, but to do this, they run quite a bit of negative camber in the rear, about -2* to -2.5*. So, yeah, it can be done w/o rubbing (or little rubbing), but you'll have high camber.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:35 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

buy wheels that fit in the first place and you'll be a lot happier in the long run.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by RT' date='Feb 16 2005, 12:35 AM
buy wheels that fit in the first place and you'll be a lot happier in the long run.
according to tire rack and SOS, these were supposed to fit right in the first place even with a drop...i counted on them since they were professionals and they said they actually test fit these on a dropped s2k...
Old 02-16-2005, 07:10 AM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

From looking at the cold hard numbers and reading the descriptions/accounts it's pretty obvious they DON'T (no matter how hard whoever wishes or said they do).

Do yourself a big favor and get rid of them. QUICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: ordered sp1 from SOS/tirerack and...