S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Wheels and Tires (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/wheels-tires-56/)
-   -   Rear Wheels "Wobble" (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/wheels-tires-56/rear-wheels-wobble-961686/)

jephhh 06-28-2012 07:50 AM

Rear Wheels "Wobble"

Hello S2Ki,

I was notified by a passerby that my rear wheels "wobble and bounce". Since I got my tires mounted onto the wheels from a powdercoat shop, I was assuming that the tires weren't balanced because the shop guys mentioned they had a difficult time mounting them onto the wheels. But after researching (and by "research" i mean google) further I read it can also be a bent axle, bent rim, conflicting wheel sizes, etc. I just wanted to know if anyone has experience this problem before and any insight would be appreciated.

Here are my wheel/tire sizes:

17x8 +38

245/40/17

Also, lowered on KGMM Springs for a ± 1.5"

daktruckie99 06-28-2012 08:13 AM

Usually when it looks like a tire wobbles or bounces it's just different shades of color playing tricks on your eyes. I see it all the time on truck tires that have a spot of mud on the sidewall. Can you better describe what they actually told you? The other symptom could be a blown shock absorber, in which case the wheel will bounce and you'll see tire tread damage (cupping).

An out of balance tire will be felt when driving, but I can't be so sure as to say that you'd see anything with your eyes on a passing car.

That's my .02.

-Mike

jephhh 06-28-2012 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by daktruckie99 (Post 21818606)
Usually when it looks like a tire wobbles or bounces it's just different shades of color playing tricks on your eyes. I see it all the time on truck tires that have a spot of mud on the sidewall. Can you better describe what they actually told you? The other symptom could be a blown shock absorber, in which case the wheel will bounce and you'll see tire tread damage (cupping).

An out of balance tire will be felt when driving, but I can't be so sure as to say that you'd see anything with your eyes on a passing car.

That's my .02.

-Mike

Mike,

Thanks for your input. I'm familiar with the spots of mud on the sidewall, but this was after a wash and it's been dry for weeks. Unfortunatly, that's all the passerby said and I was planning to get a mechanic buddy of mine to trail me as I drive. But now that I'm aware that my tires wobbling, I now notice it. Not sure if it's just a placebo affect since I was told, but I may have disregarded it because with these springs you feel every tiny bump in the road.

daktruckie99 06-28-2012 08:34 AM

Having someone you trust watch you drive sounds like a good idea.

Good luck.

-Mike

Manga_Spawn 06-28-2012 12:31 PM

Or let someone drive it and not mention it and see if they feel it. Like others have said you should feel it at least at certain speeds. I would take the car to a tire shop and have them balance them. If that doesn't fix it then look for bigger things. Also sounds dumb but just take the wheel off and put it back on and re torque the lugs. If they are alittle loose it could make it wobble some.

calebzimm 06-28-2012 01:22 PM

if you have coilovers and they aren't preloaded correctly it will do this...ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

FluKy15 06-28-2012 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by calebzimm (Post 21819724)
if you have coilovers and they aren't preloaded correctly it will do this...ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

How do you know? :)

Just kidding :p

CKit 06-28-2012 03:20 PM

Can you shake the wheel by hand?

Check lug nut torque and axle nuts first.

Any grinding noise like a wheel bearing?

jephhh 06-29-2012 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by FluKy15 (Post 21819750)

Originally Posted by calebzimm' timestamp='1340918552' post='21819724

How do you know? :)

Just kidding :p

lol!

Thanks for all the suggestions! :thumbup:

CKit, no grinding noises from the bearings, but I'll check out the lug nut torque and axle nuts when I get a chance. Thanks!