Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 AP1 tire selcetion

Old 05-14-2016, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 AP1 tire selcetion

I just got my 03 AP1 s2000 this week. The rear tires need to be replaced.
Current tires on the rims are Bridgestone RE760 sport as follows:
Front: 205/55/16 91w
Rear: 225/50/16 92w

Below are my needs:
1. I will use this car as daily vehicle and I live in San Diego( nice weather and temperature all year around, barely rains).
2. I dont really care about the tire price but I do care the longevity of the tires.

Can someone give some suggestions? I dont think I need to replace the front tires as there is still good tread left, do I ?

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2016, 10:42 AM

Received 107 Likes on 102 Posts

From what I've researched for the past 1-2 years, RE760 are quite good for DD. To use them past their grip and handling ability, means you are driving very dangerously & recklessly on the streets (even much more so can be said if you're using RE11, RE71r, ZII, RS3, AD08r beyond their grip-levels on the streets).

If you want max traction (for occasional track and autoX days; or to drive very dangerously/recklessly on the streets/canyons and want to crash your car asap) and less tread-life, go for - RE11, RE71r, ZII, RS3, AD08r.

For DD, stick with RE760.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:50 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

If the fronts are good and you are happy with the RE760, just get a new set of rears. They tend to wear out about twice as fast as the front, so next time you will probably need all 4. At that point you can go with something different if you want. Any tire with a higher tread wear isn't worth putting on the car IMO.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jah2000
From what I've researched for the past 1-2 years, RE760 are quite good for DD. To use them past their grip and handling ability, means you are driving very dangerously & recklessly on the streets (even much more so can be said if you're using RE11, RE71r, ZII, RS3, AD08r beyond their grip-levels on the streets).

If you want max traction (for occasional track and autoX days; or to drive very dangerously/recklessly on the streets/canyons and want to crash your car asap) and less tread-life, go for - RE11, RE71r, ZII, RS3, AD08r.

For DD, stick with RE760.
Thanks for the detailed suggestions! Honestly, I am new to s2000 and don't have that much experience driving a stick. I will stick on RE760 this time.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by 1nate7
If the fronts are good and you are happy with the RE760, just get a new set of rears. They tend to wear out about twice as fast as the front, so next time you will probably need all 4. At that point you can go with something different if you want. Any tire with a higher tread wear isn't worth putting on the car IMO.
thanks for the info! I will get a new pair of re760. Maybe try some thing different next time.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:45 PM

I found this review on TireRack quite interesting (Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's are updated/refreshed RE760's):

“Just bought these tires and will give 1st impressions and will follow up with more detail as the miles accrue. For those considering these now, there is so little data, I thought my experience so far may be of use. Feedback at the local tire store for the three sets they sold was very positive. For those that don't know, Bridgestone is the largest tire manufacturer in the world and owns Firestone, Fusion and other brands. I replaced a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports with these. I was extremely satisfied with the Michelins, but studying these tires, I decided to give them a try. The Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 (FFI500) are called Bridgestone RE003 in the rest of the world. The FFI500 is basically an update/refresh of the Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport, which in the rest of the world is called the Bridgestone RE002. I have recommended the 760's to several friends who all liked the tire and the 760's get great reviews on this site. Looking on international websites I discovered the claimed improvements over the RE760's are as follows: 20% in on center feel, 5% dry handling, 10% wet handling, 6% wet braking, 4% straight-line stability, no improvement in rolling resistance or noise levels and a 10% improvement in comfort. That was the marketing data anyway. I can confirm so far it feels very good but I need more miles to give a full impression and will update in the next couple weeks. Its more comfortable than the Michelin PSS and noise levels are similar, but a different tone. Turn in is improved over the 760 but not quite the turn-in of the very eager PSS's. Hope that helps for anybody considering these now. Current $60 rebate is a nice bonus making these less than half the French tire's price in my size. I don't expect them to wear as well as the PSS, and wear data was missing from the marketing materials I've seen, but I have a square set-up and will be rotating them every 5K miles. Pleased so far!”
Old 08-24-2016, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jah2000
I found this review on TireRack quite interesting (Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's are updated/refreshed RE760's):

“Just bought these tires and will give 1st impressions and will follow up with more detail as the miles accrue. For those considering these now, there is so little data, I thought my experience so far may be of use. Feedback at the local tire store for the three sets they sold was very positive. For those that don't know, Bridgestone is the largest tire manufacturer in the world and owns Firestone, Fusion and other brands. I replaced a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports with these. I was extremely satisfied with the Michelins, but studying these tires, I decided to give them a try. The Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 (FFI500) are called Bridgestone RE003 in the rest of the world. The FFI500 is basically an update/refresh of the Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport, which in the rest of the world is called the Bridgestone RE002. I have recommended the 760's to several friends who all liked the tire and the 760's get great reviews on this site. Looking on international websites I discovered the claimed improvements over the RE760's are as follows: 20% in on center feel, 5% dry handling, 10% wet handling, 6% wet braking, 4% straight-line stability, no improvement in rolling resistance or noise levels and a 10% improvement in comfort. That was the marketing data anyway. I can confirm so far it feels very good but I need more miles to give a full impression and will update in the next couple weeks. Its more comfortable than the Michelin PSS and noise levels are similar, but a different tone. Turn in is improved over the 760 but not quite the turn-in of the very eager PSS's. Hope that helps for anybody considering these now. Current $60 rebate is a nice bonus making these less than half the French tire's price in my size. I don't expect them to wear as well as the PSS, and wear data was missing from the marketing materials I've seen, but I have a square set-up and will be rotating them every 5K miles. Pleased so far!”

I looked at the FS Wide Oval AS Indy 500 and the regular Wide Oval Indy 500 earlier this year when I bought new AP1 tires. I'm wondering if this is the tire (not the AS but the more UHP-oriented tire) you're talking about above, or if it's actually a different tire. If so, I don't see how this could be an update to the RE760 when the tread looks completely different altogether. Same maker, Bridgestone/Firestone, yes, but I see no family resemblance to the RE760. Here's a link to the current sale flyer on these tires (which are practically a steal with this sale if anyone is in the market and wants to give these a shot). Take a look at the tread vs the RE760 and you'll see what I mean: http://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/offers/

Not saying my thought process on this is correct as I know next to nothing about tire designs and evolutions, it just seems logical to me that an update would bear some resemblance to the original.

I'm curious to find out if perhaps there's a different I500 tire that fits AP1 and is the successor to the RE760. Both these I500s are on sale through 9/30. Anyway, I was also intrigued by these tires, especially by their affordability; ultimately, from what I recall, the user reviews and Tire Rack videos ranked them as decent (but I do recall at least one user ranked them as not good at all on the TR reviews, and I want to say it was an S2000 owner)...but for me, this FS I500 was not as strong as its competition that was relatively close in pricing. I'd be interested to read up some more on them, though, and hear what more S2K owners think of them.

I ended up going with Conti DWS06 AS and am pretty happy with them. They don't look as cool as a UHP tire, and of course don't have the near flawless dry grip of the stockers — keep in mind I don't track my car, but I enjoy spirited driving. I also did not want the hassle of having 2 sets of tires (to each his own). I was after a year-round tire I could feel safe on in sudden rain or light snow (I'd never take my S out in any snow on purpose) that also had decent dry cornering grip and kept the ride fun. I nearly wrecked a couple times driving in rain and an unforecast snow shower over the years on the stockers. But no complaints with these Contis, they are grippy, fun and give good confidence in dry and in rainy conditions. If you live in a moist climate like the PNW or the UK, I'd think an AS would definitely be the way to go. If anyone wants to see some group discussion of AS tires, here's my thread:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/114...#entry23925684
Old 08-25-2016, 11:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Re-11's - you can run 205/245 and be really really close to S-02 fitment.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Stevez
I looked at the FS Wide Oval AS Indy 500 and the regular Wide Oval Indy 500 earlier this year when I bought new AP1 tires. I'm wondering if this is the tire (not the AS but the more UHP-oriented tire) you're talking about above, or if it's actually a different tire. If so, I don't see how this could be an update to the RE760 when the tread looks completely different altogether. Same maker, Bridgestone/Firestone, yes, but I see no family resemblance to the RE760.
No, not the older "Wide-Oval" version. I was talking about the newer Non-Wide-Oval here:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Make=Firestone

Old 08-25-2016, 12:36 PM

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...p-Michelin-PSS

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1260507

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo.../110937/page1/

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f...500-tires.html

FFI500 > Comp2 according to these tests:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=217
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=217

Quick Reply: 03 AP1 tire selcetion