Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5mm spacers and their lack of 'hub lip'

Old 01-29-2019, 09:56 PM

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts
Default 5mm spacers and their lack of 'hub lip'

Searched the world and back for a 5mm with a 'hub lip" but did not find one. I bought h&r 5mm since their website says the 5mm spacer is 'hubcentric'. But when it arrived it did not have a hub lip for the wheel to sit on as pictured. Long story short and after doing it myself i found the following. The 5mm spacers are too thin to be able to have an extending hub lip machined. The S2K oem hubs have an exact 5mm of 'lip' so the wheel sits and centers when getting bolted to the hub.(plenty of debate whether that hub lip is a structurally important piece to absorb vibrations or to simple help center the wheel). The kit came with slightly extended wheel studs aswell. Adding the 5mm spacer leaves the the wheel fully dependant on properly installing the hubcentric bolts in a crosspattern when installing wheels.

Being that its H&R i found it unbecoming that they advertise a 'hubcentric 5mm spacer" that doesnt come with a hubcentric lip built in.

However what i found after looking at the 5mm is that they themselves are 'hubcentric' relative to the hub, centering themselves perfectly. The 5mm spacers center themselves to the hub and the wheel is centered to the spacer/hub through the oem selfcentering lugnuts. Hope this helps someone in the future.

Last edited by F1TwoThousand; 01-29-2019 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:31 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Thanks for the info, how much longer are those included studs? Are they needed or is there still enough thread with the stock ones?
Old 01-30-2019, 06:47 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Once you torque the lug nuts down the wheel will center
Old 01-30-2019, 01:05 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

You really only need the inside of the spacer to be hubcentric. Centricity for the wheel is just a luxury that can make it easier to seat the wheel quickly.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:27 AM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

If it matters that much you can have some custom made. It will cost you, though. I'm personally getting some 2mm spacers made to give my BBK a little more breathing room. It's a specially made BBK for higher-offset wheels, and I'm going to be running 17x9 +63 RZIIs. With the wheels installed there's only like 1mm of clearance between the spoke and the caliper....3 would be ideal, and I think even suggested by the manufacturer. The guy I'm talking to said it should be no problem to make hub & wheel centric spacers that are only 2mm...not sure who says it can't be done....maybe from a mass production standpoint and the material they're using? The ones I'm getting are made from billet aluminum. Check out wheeladapter.com, they start their custom spacer advertisement at 5mm, so clearly they're more than confident in machining them with a bore-centric lip. But if you contact them like I did, they can do it even smaller per your request. I'll get pics of mine if you're interested, should have them in a few days. Guy makes them and ships them the same day.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:22 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

If you make the hub center bigger than stock 70mm I guess it wont be a problem.
On a spacer that is 5mm thick or less I'm not sure how else it could be done?
Old 01-31-2019, 07:25 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by flanders
If you make the hub center bigger than stock 70mm I guess it wont be a problem.
On a spacer that is 5mm thick or less I'm not sure how else it could be done?
Agreed. I can't think of any way to make a spacer centric for the wheel if the spacer is 5mm or less. The reason is that the wheel-centric part has to have a smaller inner diameter than the hub in order for the outer diameter to match that of the hub, and thus the wheel-centric portion cannot slide over the hub itself and has to start at least 5mm from the back of the spacer. If you look at thicker spacers that are machined to be both hub and wheel centric, you'll see the wheel-centric portion creates a lip that reduces the inner diameter of the spacer. That only works because the spacer is more than 5mm thick and the lip starts more than 5mm from the back of the spacer.

But again, it doesn't matter because you don't need wheel-centricity on a spacer.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:17 AM

Seems that oem stud legth from disk hub is 18mm. 13mm length left after adding 5mm spacer. The oem lug nuts seem to be 28mm recessed for the studs according to my garage measuring method. Looks like 7 full turns on the wheel are ideal i will give an update when i put them back on.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:50 PM

The reccomended amount is 6.5 turns for the lug nuts. After 5mm spacer with oem ap2 v1 rim and lugnuts i was able to get 4.5 turns. Will be running this in the meantime i install the provided extended wheel studs...
Old 02-15-2019, 02:55 PM

went to go check other side with no 5mm spacer oem rim and luhnuts: 7.5 turns is what i was able to turn the oem lugnuts. So oem lugs and studs you get 7.5 turns. OEM lugs and studs with 5mm spacer leaves you with 4.5 turns. H&R 5mm spacer kit reccommends atleast 6.5 turns and includes an extended stud kit for this reason.

Last edited by F1TwoThousand; 02-15-2019 at 04:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mcbru (02-19-2019)

Quick Reply: 5mm spacers and their lack of 'hub lip'